Power BI Data Flows tutorial request

Hi fellow Power BI power users,

I am looking for any hands-on tutorials on using Power BI dataflows? I wanted to learn why they are useful (never used dataflows myself), as well as any hands-on tutorial on how to use data flows that I can follow along and learn. I recently landed a new job and was told the team uses data flow, so I would love to be able to catch up on this feature if possible. Thank you very much for your assistance!

@GrapeApe561,

I’m not familiar with any hands-on tutorials on this topic, but here are a few resources that I think do a good job explaining what data flows are and how to use them:

I hope these are helpful.

• Brian
1 Like

Hi @GrapeApe561

Certainly very good resources provided by @BrianJ , I also thought that of sharing these links, might be of some help.

Dataflows-future of power BI

3 ways of using Dataflows

Thanks

1 Like

Seems I’m the last one to pitch in… and @BrianJ and @NajahS have already provided great content on the subject. So I just want to share my experience.

Think of the Dataflow feature as “Power Query online” where you prepair and store your data in Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 (in the cloud). Basically you only need Power Query skills to work with dataflows but there are some differences that I want to share with you:

1. The interface. Microsoft has already made significant improvements in this regard but the interface differs from the one you are used to in Power BI Desktop. Good thing to note is that if you run into an issue where you can’t find a certain feature. Just prepare your query in Power BI Desktop and copy the M code from the Advanced Editor and paste that in the Advanced Editor in your Dataflow.
  2. Linked entities between dataflows are only available in Premium. This means you can’t reuse entities that have already been ingested, cleansed and transformed by other dataflows. If that need arises like for merge operations you’ll have to duplicate that query and disable it’s load.
  3. You have the ability to map the data to the Common Data Model this includes a set of standardized, extensible data schemas that Microsoft and its partners have published. This collection of predefined schemas includes entities, attributes, semantic metadata, and relationships.
  4. Finally because you have the ability to choose if you want to schedule refresh for a certain Dateflow it is posible to utilize this to create an archive for legacy data/systems which you only have to refresh once manually.

I hope this is helpful and remember it’s just Power Query :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the late reply, but THANK YOU so much for sharing these resources! I will be studying all of these to help me get up to speed for my new job. Thanks again, and please stay safe!

1 Like

Try https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/whitepapers. If you want more video learning there are a few good video tutorials on YouTube channels.
To mash up and blend from different sources data flows are power query online. Learning flows will be a necessary skill in analytics.