Power BI Challenge 8 - Jira IT Service Desk Analysis

Sigh … apparently both R and Python visuals aren’t supported by PTW… who know?

2 Likes

@Greg That is fantastic information to know, even if it’s disappointing that I couldn’t get to see your charts in action.

1 Like

Thanks @BrianJ for helping publish this report so everyone can see my report in action. I included the link in my original post.

2 Likes

Hi All,

Please find my submission for challenge number 8. Here is the link

Following is brief writeup for the submission
• Data loading and transformation

1. Excel loaded into Power BI
  2. Used Enterprise DNA extended date table M code as [Dates] Extended Date Table (Power Query M function)

• Data modelling

1. Created following dimensions
    a. Issue Type
    b. Project
    c. Priority
    d. Project Type
    e. Resolution
    f. Creator
    g. Issue Status
    h. Reporter
  2. Fact Table
    a. Jira
    Created many to one relationship between Facts and dimensions
  • DAX calculations
    Created following DAX calculations

• Reports and visualizations

• Created a background image based on EDNA Visualization course
    • Developed color template using color generator (coolers) and imported the theme
    • Downloaded icons from flaticon
  1. Created Summary Report

1. Created Details Report

1. Created Data Quality

Inspiration:

1. Navigation was inspired by @DianaB entry in Challenge 3 HR Data Insights
  2. Most of the Visualization were inspired from EDNA Courses

Thanks,
Kiran Kumar

7 Likes

@tweinzapfel , Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I enjoyed working on this report.

1 Like

All,

Here is my submission for this challenge. Had a fun time creating this one. Those of you who have watched the movie Office Space, will get a kick out this! Full writeup to follow in the next couple of days.

Here is the weblink:

Thanks
Jarrett

9 Likes

Welcome to the World Of Charticulators
Here is my submission for Challenge # 8

Finally managed to complete the report. Some visuals took days to complete and it was really a Rollercoaster ride.

Using The Report
Tickets Created
I tried to build the flow of the chart by first analyzing what Peak Periods are. I tried to show the Peak Periods by Time of Day also so management has the idea as to what time of the day are the busiest for Technicians. You can see that Borders of the Calendar looking visual are Red for some but Grey for others. I made an assumption that the # of issues more than 100 in a month will be considered as a busy period. Therefore, the Borders will turn Red Dynamically whenever the # of issues are more.

Moreover, If you click on the top right corner, heatmap looking table will pop up giving the summary of Peak Times & Days.

Tickets Composition
Here I have used the Dot Plot Visual to show the # of Tickets Created, segregated by Priority and highlighted by the Status of the Tickets.

Tickets Resolved Time
The # of days taken to resolve the issues are highlighted here divided into years. The visual itself conveys a lot of information but I have also marked some items for management to analyze.

There were some items whose Created Dates were higher than Due Dates so here I assumed that Created Date column was valid as we already are facing issues with recording of Due Dates in the system

Tickets Status
Here I have converted the table into Bar Chart looking Table that can easily highlight the issues. I have used OPEN DAYS ** term that actually means Active Tickets & Active Tickets Days.

If you click on the top right side, analyzing the Status Trend over the Years will be much more easier with the use of Dumbbell & Lollipop Charts

Workflow
At the end the system issues and allocation of resources are highlighted.
Here I have used Waffle Charts instead of Card visual as Waffle charts are perfect for comparison between 2 categories.

Visuals Used
Native Bar Charts
Native Column Charts
Dot Plot by MAQ Software
Enlighten Waffle Chart by MAQ Software
Dumbbell Charts designed in Charticulator
Bar Charts designed in Charticulator
Lollipop Charts designed in Charticulator
HeatMap designed in Charticulator
Slope Charts designed in Charticulator

I know I haven’t explained much as I am exhausted and have to get prepared for the grinding starting tomorrow. I haven’t worked so hard before in completing the project but now I feel satisfied as we can have Tableau looking visuals in Power Bi too :grinning:

This past 2 weeks have been a great learning experience, diving into R scripts, Statistics and Charticulators.
Thanks @BrianJ & @AntrikshSharma for your help along the way.

Thanks @haroonali1000 for coming up with the right dataset at the right time :smile:

P.S. Charticulator is not easy when you are trying to design visuals and to make it work with the report design but custom visuals communicate way too much information than native PBI visuals.

With the help of @BrianJ, here is the link to the report

19 Likes

Superb design. Love it. Very inspirational!

3 Likes

Wonderful design here as well. So smooth and easy on the eye

3 Likes

Once again amazingly creative! Love the web based app look and feel

3 Likes

Wow! This is so incredibly good it’s crazy. 5 stars

4 Likes

Me too. So amazed at how creative our community is. So inspiring.

#bestPowerBIcommunitybyfar

Well done to everyone.

To see the improvement from everyone, challenge to challenge is so inspiring.

I haven’t been able to put anything together yet due to being consumed with the Analyst Hub development and release.

Might try in the coming days…

1 Like

The whole world needs to see what you’ve done here! Very impressive.

4 Likes

@MudassirAli , Wow amazing work. Is it possible to share a link to the report ?

2 Likes

@sam.mckay wow that’s such big compliments from you. I believe hard work pays off. For 1.5 weeks I was just working to design the charts that could embed as much information as possible. At one point I thought that maybe this wasn’t possible but then I started watching how visuals are designed in Tableau and then used that information to design the visuals.

I really do hope that Power Bi will have its own custom easy to use visual designer inside the the desktop service.

4 Likes

@Neba
I don’t have access to publish to web feature and the file size is too big to share .

1 Like

@MudassirAli this is seriously impressive! I really like this one (honestly there was a lot of them I liked too!):

Of course, would be cool to have it order properly on the x/y axis, though I see it is alphabetically on the y axis, I wasn’t sure what was driving the x axis ordering. I really like the way you can get into the summary and details so easily.

4 Likes

@ datazoe
Sorting is the biggest problem in Charticulator but I found the way. I didn’t do it in heat map as I was too tired to design it again :smile:

3 Likes

Hello forum members,

Please let me share my submission.

On this report I have focused on Open ticket expecting that I can see any errors or issues through those tickets.

First screen is only one simple bar chart to make the consumer feel easy to prepare for the next step.We can find already issues from first visual that there are still open tickets sitting that were issued in 2018 which I think is too long if that really is the case.
I have prepared 5 icons in the lower section with explanations.
With these icons consumer can explore more details.

First step is to click table icon. This is a table for all the open tickets.Total open tickets are 175 and consumer can sort by “Due Not Supplied”, “OverDue” and “Yet to Due”. Once one of these are selected, background colour changes and message pops up as “This is a drill through panel” (image as below) so consumer can move to the drill through page by clicking the background panel which is having all the details of the tickets.

By clicking next pie chart icon and bar chart icon, another rays pop up. Those are slicers.
Consumers are having multiple option whatever they want to dig deeper depends on their convenience.
I made all the back panel as drill through button as well.

4th len icon is for the issues and counterpart solutions.

Last icon is to return to the home page.

Wow to the other participants especially with new visual by Python and charticulator. Advanced technology with cool solutions!!!

Thank you for letting me share the report.

All the best to the other participants.

Regards,

Hideo

11 Likes

@MudassirAli that I do understand! I have so many versions of them when I am creating them too. I spent 3 hours straight making little tweaks last night on one. I can tell you put serious effort and the outcome is amazing! Surfaced a lot of great insights!

3 Likes