Power BI Builds 5 - Optical Data

I noticed that some patients seem to be both Private and Subsidized, these patients will have a ‘1’ in both columns.

Is this correct? Can patient can be both at the same time?

(My experience with healthcare is in the US, so I think my understanding of these categories may be different than intended.)

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

This is very unique. Me like it

@Karen_A,

We are mostly likely not dealing with real data. Don’t get caught up on the answers. I also noticed that all of the the patients are Farsighted, not a 1 is Nearsighted! :grin:

Thanks
Jarrett

2 Likes

@JarrettM,

Not to mention the likely pending discrimination lawsuit against them - 10,000 appointments, all men…

• Brian
8 Likes

And this is mine. Tried my best being first time participant :grinning:

9 Likes

Hello @haroonali1000, I want to be considered for the newcomer prize.

Drop me a hint here. How do I calculate a future appointment date(s) based on the variable appointment frequencies, 1X/2X/4X annually, and the last appointment date?

@ChadD,
I have confidence that you can figure this one out. Do some research on Google. I’m sure this type of question has been asked on this forum, or the Microsoft support forum at some point in time.

Thanks
Jarrett

@JarrettM,

I actually wrestled with this one myself, because I don’t think it’s a technical question but one of interpretation. I think the question here is what to do if you calculate the next appointment date based on age and specified appointment frequency, but that date falls prior to the current date (what I would interpret as a missed appt). Do you repeat the frequency pattern from the last scheduled date or take a different approach (I did the latter…).

@ChadD – is that what you are asking?

• Brian
1 Like

@haroonali1000,

I have a question about this element of the challenge:

“She currently monitors this by checking the left eye and right eye values from the appointments and see the difference if any between appointments and ensure that random numbers haven’t been entered.”

As someone with terrible eyesight, I know that my vision values for each eye change appointment by appointment. I interpreted the inclusion of this information as encouraging us to test the validity of the vision values entered over time, however, given that there is naturally occurring, valid variation in left and right eye values over time, I don’t think such a test is possible without additional information (i.e., how much observed variation would be outside of the naturally occurring patterns and an indication of entry error or fraud?)

Thanks for clarifying.

• Brian
1 Like

@BrianJ and @JarrettM - at the moment, for me, it is a technical/DAX question. I have a supporting table with Appt Freq (annual), Min and Max ages. No relationships in the data model. I want to calculate the next patient appt (target) date based on the last appt date plus the appt frequency. I set it up as appts/yr, but it could be 3/6/12 months or 91/182/365 days, etc. Its the DAX to get the new date I’m struggling with. How do I take Last Appt Date measure and marry it with my supporting table? Also, when I set up my initial date table I did not allow for 1-2 years into the future, but what I see online suggests DATEADD will only work if the dates generated are in the original date table?

Thank you for your and feedback and suggestions.

@ChadD,

Here’s a hint - reexamine your initial assumption that this problem is best handled (only) in DAX. :wink:

• Brian
4 Likes

@ChadD
I struggled with the same issue with DATEADD and I used EDATE function instead. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Neb

1 Like

I should just write the same issue.
I will allow myself to expand the question.

What she do Manually
Is she checking the difference between two appointment for each eyes?
The appointment with the measure from the appointment just before.
And then what Brian write “naturally occurring patterns”

/Amdi

1 Like

@ChadD,

If you want to solve this in DAX, you already have the key components needed to solve.

Here is my hint: The 3 data points you will need are Age Group, MAX Appt, & Days until next appointment.

** Take those 3 data point and form a SWITCH statement to solve it. Here is a video from Sam to help you out. **

Here is a great resource in the EDNA Knowledge Base
https://info.enterprisedna.co/dax-function-guide/switch/

Thanks
Jarrett

2 Likes

Thank you, @JarrettM for the helpful input. I have been playing in this sandbox. More to come!

@sam.mckay and @haroonali1000 this is the link to my work Optical Data Analytics - EDNA Day 5 Challenge

1 Like

Hi All,

Great to see you are all getting stuck into the challenge.

Just to clarify a point around the left eye and right eye values.

For this particular aspect of the report we are not asking you to calculate the differences or create any calculations (feel free to do so if you think it adds value but as @BrianJ mentioned this is difficult without supporting information ). The ask is so that if a single patient was selected then previous appointment values are also visible.

I hope you have also seen the post from my colleague @BrianJ about the newcomer category a great initaive be sure to check it out.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Haroon

2 Likes

Great – thanks for the clarification. That definitely makes things simpler…

• Brian
2 Likes

Thanks Haroon for the update

1 Like