Power BI Builds 3 - HR Data Insights

Please find below my first Challenge submission. Open to any constructive feedback.
Best regards

Power BI Report Link

9 Likes

My submission to this challenge, any suggestions/feebacks are most welcome.

4 Likes

@alexbadiu Nice visualization idea! I like the bookmarks to the findings on the first page.

@alexbadiu,

I agree with Martin - really like the modified heatmap on page 1. Very creative, information-rich visualization that I haven’t seen done exactly in this way before.

My one constructive suggestion would be to apply a different sort order to your stacked bars on page 2. Instinctively, I think people expect the order to be unhappy on the bottom, neutral in the middle and happy on top.

Overall, really nice job.

• Brian
1 Like

Excellent analysis, @BrianJ ! Whenever looking at survey result, I should request this kind of data first before paying attention to further outcomes.
This brings me to the question: Is this data random? I just had a look at the correlation between first and second response and in a real world scenario I would expect that employees that don’t change their mind dominate (= largest bubbles along the diagonal axis). Actually, this is my personal hypothesis. If this is real world data, then it would proof my hypothesis wrong:

4 Likes

Hi All,
This is my report for Challenge 3. I am not too much into the dark side and I am a little minimalist, but this time I did something different. In my last showcase from Sam, I learned about buttons, so I wanted to use buttons, you can click in the buttons to change page. So, this is the result, I hope you like it and any feedback is welcome.

I did not record my work, is not like I sit and do everything at once, I am busy during the week, so I did it in the weekends.
Last weekend:

1. I read the Challenge and download the data.
  2. I create my Power BI dataset (Measures and Dimensions), the data was very strait forward, so I did everything in Power Query.
  3. I review the information provided to see what kind of insight we can get from the data.
    This weekend:
  4. I look from some inspiration for my design. I created my background in PowerPoint and I use the Color Theme Generator Tool to create my theme. I love this tool I am using it all the time.
  5. I sketched out some ideas to see how to order the information on the space.
  6. And finally, I started the report, the fun part, I created a very simple Measures, I did some adjustment to my design and Voilà!!!
    I use Power BI Server from work, but I cannot publish personal reports there. I do not know how to publish my report in another place so you can access, any recommendation is welcome.

Thanks, and have a wonderful summer.

14 Likes

Hello everyone,
Great outcomes till now, can’t wait for the rest.
Below is my point of view :

In this challenge I tried to make something easier to read from an HR perspective without overcomplicating the report.
Every visual interacts with each other and the cycles in the main visuals act as buttons in order to filter the individual consultation.
I hope you like it and would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Michael

10 Likes

Wow love it. Love to learn more about how you did this one

Very impressive Diana

Wow, @DianaB I love your naviagtion. And I learnt something for myself: “Summary” is not a good page title. It’s better to be precise. It could mean “overview” or “conclusion”. I did the same mistake :smiley:

1 Like

@DIanaB,

That design is gorgeous. I love the 3D tab effect.

Would you mind posting your PBIX?

Thanks!

• Brian

P.S. @alexbadiu - I was going to ask you the same thing.

P.P.S @haroonali1000 - Maybe this is could be a standard part of submitting an entry? Would make it easier for everyone to explore and learn from all the cool stuff people are doing in their reports.

@BrianJ
How can I post the PBIX

If I’d had time on this challenge, I definitely would’ve run that analysis to test the correlation between interview #1 and interview #2. I also would have run the 5 consultations against each other to examine the correlations between the sentiment on those issues. There’s actually a pretty good custom visual from Microsoft to do this that I used in challenge #2. It’s a little wonky since it requires you to install an older version of R (3.3.0 or earlier) plus the R Corrplot package. You don’t actually need to run any R, just install these two components and the visual writes and runs the R code for you. Once you get it properly set up, it works quite well and is very customizable.

Alternatively, there’s a quick measure in the Microsoft Community Gallery to calculate the Pearson correlation coefficient:

These would be interesting tests to run, since my experience analyzing this type of data is that peoples’ sentiments and preferences are not nearly as stable as you might expect. Even well-established personality tests (like MBTI) show more variance over time that I ever would’ve anticipated.

• Brian
2 Likes

Hi all
I find all this challenge very good, which give learning and a lot of inspiration from all of you.
My report in 3 pages.

Challenge 3-HR Data Amdi Silword.pbix (694.5 KB)

4 Likes

@DianaB, I look forward to see you report.
Maybe @BrianJ can correct me if there is an other way.

1 Like

Really awesome work around your reports for the Power BI Challenge 3. I’m really enjoying working through all these submissions and there is so many great techniques embedded into a lot of these reports that are being posted.

I’m going to be posting a project update around my own submission into the relevant category very soon.

Look out for more from me in the near future

Sam

1 Like

My write up from my submission can be found here

1 Like

@DianaB,

1. Go to your original post and click the pencil icon at the bottom to edit

1. In the toolbar at the top, click the up arrow icon to select upload

1. Once you’ve selected and uploaded the file, click Save Edit to repost

Thanks!

• Brian

P.S. alternatively, at step #2, you can just scroll to the bottom of your post and drag and drop the file from your File Explorer lwindow

1 Like

Hi all,

Find my report for Challange-3.

It wasn’t quite easy to manoeuvre the dataset. It took me longer that expecte to nail the dataset after several non conclusive attemps.

I pivoted the dataset gain some few columns but increased the rows in order to arrive at my expections.

A snapshot of my fact table is below with only the interview date retained in the date format for the final model.

The consultation start and end dates were promoted as dimensions with derived columns included. My aim was to produce a single key that could directly relate with the fact table. The derived columns from the demension were then merged and referenced with the fact table. Below is the start and end date dimension table.

To develop a dynamic perception of employees reponses, a supporting table was created in order to work-out the logic for attribution values to outcomes with the aim of assigning each employee a score based on the response. As you will notice below, numerical values are assigned to outcomes in the fact table .

The following DAX formula was used in the Model to assign distinct employee with a pseudo score based on response.(from 1 -Happy, 0-Neutral and -1Unhappy).

Employee Sentiment Segment = CALCULATE([DistinCt Employee Name],
FILTER(VALUES(Employee[Employee Name]),
COUNTROWS(
FILTER(‘Employee Sentiment’,
[Total Outcome Value]>=‘Employee Sentiment’[Min] &&
[Total Outcome Value] <=‘Employee Sentiment’[Max]))))
The logic enables the assesment of all employees.

This was however not presented as such in the final report. Rather, employees were groups based on their score (first table within the Segmentation category ) and a count of employee table capturing distinct employee’s perception with regards to policy change based the the total score as defined in the supporting table.

You will find snapshots of my final submission in turn:

4 Likes

Brian this is such epic thinking. I would have never have thought to look at the data like this, but after reading through your notes it makes a lot of sense.

I really love how you thought out of the box on this one, and it’s amazing what diversity in thinking you can have for the very same problem, for example the challenge that we are putting together and the scenario that we are working on.

This diversity of thought is what is really going to take our members analytical abilities and critical thinking to another level.

Reading this it just makes me think how we can extract as much information out of your brain as we can without placing any more burdens on your time! Appreciate your efforts on this and I’ve learnt something and feel smarter from reading through your thought process here.

Sam

4 Likes