Power BI Builds 18 - OEE Manufacturing Report

Indeed.
There are so many records where the total biscuits made = 0 (and the goodmadebiscuits is not).
This is across machines, products and OEE cats…
I’m also wondering whether this is correct?

KR
J

2 Likes

Let’s have a peek in at the operation of Grandma EDNA’s machines…

salad fire

4 Likes

I made the same conclusion

1 Like

Hello there,
How are you considering the “0” OEE Category?

1 Like

Hi

Just for clarity, am I to assume that for example on the 01/07/2021 end of the day 00:00 for Custard Creams there were in total 378,236 good biscuits made from boxing, filling and topping machines combined together. The target in total was 1,244,160 good biscuits.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Thanks

Patrick N

1 Like

@MehdiH ,

I’ve been debating the same question. It’s a significant chunk of hours (132.5). Given that the category of the shutdown is unknown, my inclination would be to include it as a debit in Effective Runtime along with PM and CC. (as opposed to including it as a debit in Available Net, since we can’t say with any certainty that the unknown cause is No Order).

How were you considering handling it?

@haroonali1000 - any guidance on this question? (and also what to do with the 4 hour of “Run” shutdown)

• Brian
3 Likes

Hi All,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you all, family duties at the weekend had me at capacity.

Please find below my comments to the questions asked.

Product Table

Jammy Creams Eg

Biscuits per pack= 6 – 1 pack of biscuits contains 6 individual biscuits

Biscuits_PER_CASE= 24-A case is made of 24 biscuits

Biscuits_PER_PALLET= 140- The number of cases that can be placed on to the pallet

Biscuits Per Pallet= 3360- The total no of individual biscuits on the whole pallet. 140 *24= 3360

OEE Categories

‘0’ ‘No order’
When ever a machine stops the operators are supposed to assign a category, when they don’t it defaults to NO Order or 0

Run Time- is intervention from a site engineer

Mismatch between total biscuits made and good Biscuits made- The sensor that counts the biscuits is a cumulative counter however it has been observed that there is a another associated trigger that results in the counter being set to 0.

The business have agreed the following rule can be applied until IT are able to fix the issue.

Wherever the good biscuits total exceeds the total biscuits made you should ignore the Total Biscuit count and use the Good made biscuits count i.e. quality will be 100%.

The ratios and splits being exaggerated, this is due to data being randomised.

Thanks,
H

4 Likes

Spot on!

1 Like

So looking at the the Total Biscuit/Good Biscuits Made columns, are we to assume that the number there is how much that machine produced since the last stopage?

And if so, looking at the Biscuit Boxing Machine in StartDateTime order, there’s a stoppage in the 29th July with 132 boxes boxed, with no records prior to that until the 8th July. Does that mean that across those 21 days it only boxed 132 boxes?

1 Like

Hi Haroon,

Is it reasonable for this challenge to assume each product is made on a different manufacturing line or is there downtime to reconfigure the machines for different products?

The sensor data is for all products and machines in July 2021 however there are overlaps in time for different machines and products, so it seems like sensor data from different lines.

Or am I reading too much into the data given the data is randomized?

3 Likes

@jamie.bryan ,

Please look at Haroon’s post from yesterday. In the run you have highlighted Total Biscuits is 0 & Good Biscuits is 132. Whenever Good Biscuits is > Total Biscuits, then use the Good Biscuits # as Total Biscuits #

Thanks
Jarrett

1 Like

Yes I saw that. What I’m meaning is since the data we have is on stoppages, is the number shown in biscuits column what was produced since the last stoppage. And if so, on the one highlighted that would be a very poor amount when compared to the target amount as only 132 boxes were boxed over 21 days, so wanted to check is that how it’s meant to be interpreted, as Haroon mentioned in the video to assume the machines should run 24/7.

2 Likes

@haroonali1000 I am finding it challenging to understand and interpret this data. Here is an example and please correct me if I am just off;

-On the 02/07/2021 the maximum good made biscuits for Custard Cream is 480,646.00 between 06:27 am - 06:35 am stoppage

• Just below that line 06:35 - 06:35 we have another stoppage, OEE is No(order) and there were 480,243 good biscuits made. This number is lower than the 480,646. What does this mean? Does No (order) means there was an error and we should discount this figure. In short for the 02/07/2021 for custard creams was the total number of good made biscuits 480,646?
  • Is the cumulative figure 209,003? Given it is lower than the good made biscuit should we ignore this number then?

Your response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 Like

Hi, Can you help me understand it correctly.

I placed a filter to show result only for Biscuit Filling Machine, What I am seeing here is that there is a continuity between all these stoppage’s, just that in every observation there has been a different reason recorded i.e. OEE CATEGORY.

• so am I correct in understanding that (from this image) machine had an overall stoppage that started at 05:19:11 AM -to- 10:19:24 AM

• the question in this case is if machine had a stoppage during this period, how are we seeing the increase in biscuits being made [again based on this image] from 194296 -to- 309006

1 Like

Hi @jps ,

From Haroon’s brief:
“For each stoppage the cumulative number of biscuits produced is also recorded along with the good biscuits allowing us to deduce waste.”

My interpretation of this is that each record (row) in the Fact table represents a stoppage. Specifically in your example, The Biscuit Filling Machine that was producing Jammy Creams had stoppages with start/end and duration with a recorded stoppage reason of OEE Category. When the stoppage was recorded there were a specific quantity of total biscuits made and some of those were marked as good for that stoppage.

In the rows you filtered the stoppages were all continuous in time no gaps or overlaps. I have noticed some overlaps in the start/end times between records for other rows in the fact table.

Hope that helps
Daran

1 Like

And it appears that the production of the boxing machine is expressed in boxes not biscuits in the FACT table? So 132 boxes or 3168 biscuits?

Same product and machine on 7/2 has 80.88 outage minutes and 2454 boxes output (~59K biscuits or slightly more than 1 hours production) during an available period of 22.6 hours… next day (7/3) has 333 outage minutes and 8364 boxes produced.

Days with no reported output - score as 0% Performance?

I interpreted it differently.
The Biscuit Boxing Machine of Machine Type Boxing will collect “packaged” products into a “box” using the Packaging Heat Machine of Machine Type Packaging.
The quantity of products in a “package” is defined by the Biscuits_PER_PACK column in the Product Table ie for Deluxe Cookies, 1 means the product is individually wrapped.
The quantity of packages per “box” for a product is defined by the Biscuits_PER_CASE.
The term “box” is generic but I took it to mean case.
Therefore when a row in the Fact Table calls out biscuits made I took it to mean actual individual biscuits even for a Boxing row. Of course that means depending on the product type and the corresponding Biscuits_PER_CASE value the numbers of cases ie boxes could be computed and may not be an integer value ie a partial box before stoppage occurred.

I assumed boxes for the output since the highest single day out put is 14360 … if biscuits that is only about one quarter hours production out of the full day. If boxes it is between 6 and 7 hours of output. Either case is rather low utilization.

Is there any way to tell what units are being used for each machine? It doesn’t seem to be cookies in all cases.

1 Like

Oops, I meant biscuits!