Power BI Challenge 17 - Environmental Data Reporting

It was my C8, but yes, at that time (Nov 2020), PTW didn’t display either Python or R visuals.
Greg

Nice!!! :facepunch: :+1:

1 Like

@KimC this is really well crafted and beautiful. Excellent Report Kim :+1:

3 Likes

Love the insights! It is a true data story!

3 Likes

Attached is an entry I received over the weekend from Carlos Cesari, an industrial chemist who has developed a strong interest in data analytics. He is a relative newcomer to Power BI, but wanted to contribute his expertise to the Challenge, so submitted his analysis in Excel and PowerPoint.

Thanks very much to Carlos for participating, and sharing his expertise!

ENTERPRISE DNA - ENVIRONMENTAL DATA REPORTING.pptx (676.0 KB)
DC17FinalData_adjustedfortask.xlsx (269.2 KB)

• Brian
2 Likes

My report images was already posted on this forum and you can access it online here thanks to Brian: https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZjM3ZjdmZDYtMzBmMC00YjQ3LWE5YzItY2NlMDhkMzlmNjRiIiwidCI6ImJkM2ZjNmFlLWE0NTUtNGFlYS1hM2RiLTI4NzlkMjI1MzM4NiIsImMiOjEwfQ%3D%3D

I want to talk about the correlation of those two pages. Holding CTRL and clinking on multiple visuals, you can create multiple scenarios to see how strong the correlation is and statically predict the behavior.

For example: you can establish a correlation between the average air toxic concentration of Butadiene in the state of Maryland and the Child Asthma Prevalence in the White or Black community. After that you can insert a new average air toxic concentration of said toxin (butadiene in this case) to see how the child asthma prevalence would behave on the selected community. You can create multiple scenarios and do multiple tests.

This same thing can be done for the precipitation report.

I’ve created a category named “heavy or violent rain” based on the classification that I’ve found on wikipedia.

Ps: I don’t trust the correlation to be 100% correct. I’ve created the report to be as automatic as I could make for now (the only thing that needs to be manually updated is the year table and clicking to refresh the tables). The correlations utilizes a table that I’ve created through power query utilizing reference and other things in order to make it automatically update by each database update (I hope :sweat_smile:). There’s some nuances in it and more revision would be good.

5 Likes

All,

I’m getting ready to really dive in and review all the entries received on this Challenge today, but I first wanted to say a massive “WELL DONE!!!” to all the participants.

I have to admit, I was nervous about this Challenge. I know the submitter quite well, and have gone on and on to them both about what an incredible tool Power BI is for this type of analysis and reporting, and even more so how incredibly talented the eDNA Challenge community is, and that they would see reports that would knock their socks off.

But when I saw the dataset, I realized that this was a wide-ranging and difficult Challenge. I worried whether people would be willing to put in time on something this large, difficult and likely unfamiliar to many of you. I was also concerned that newcomers would be overwhelmed and sit this one out.

Thankfully, my worries were completely unfounded. You rose to the challenge (no pun intended) and produced an incredible set of entries that beautifully showcase the capabilities of Power BI, and also provided an array of creative ideas on ways to visualize not only environmental data, but in general large datasets spanning multiple decades. In addition, it was fabulous to see a bunch of new names in the mix this month - with a lot great entries coming from newcomers.

We are extremely appreciative of the obvious time and thought spent on these entries. I know for a fact that some entrants spent 30+ hours on their entries. We hope you enjoyed this challenge and learned a lot in the process.

Sam and I will be putting together our feedback on each of the entries received, and I will be working through the judging of the different categories with the @EnterpriseDNA team - a task you have all made incredibly difficult for us. :grinning:

So, wanted to say a huge “Thanks!” to all, and also let you know that @sam.mckay and I will be the guests at the “Power BI for Enviros” meetup this week, run by Microsoft MVPs Alice Drummond and Christian Borovac of DiscoverEI, where we will be presenting and discussing the entries received on this Challenge.

You can click here to register for the free event.

Plenty more to follow on this Challenge over the next week!

• Brian
5 Likes

@tweinzapfel Awesome report. Great visuals. You did a fantastic job!

1 Like

Attached is my very late submission. I realised I have missed the deadline, but I wanted to submit a report at least once this year :laughing:

I have wanted to build a dark themed dashboard for a while now, but never got the chance at work and finding the time and interesting data for side projects can be difficult. I’m happy that this challenge was very interesting and gave me plenty of opportunities to try a different theme.

I would have like to spend more time adding some context around the different pages, an creating some narrative to help audience navigate dashboard. Next challenge, I’ll give myself more time to implement this.

I’m having some issues publishing my PBIX file. I will edit this message with a link once I have it.

7 Likes

Awesome design

1 Like

Here’s the entry from one of our non-member participants, Hafiz.

4 Likes

@ErikaLoz ,

Thanks for submitting, even after the deadline. Terrific report - and I think the dark background really works. Per your problems publishing, if you’d like to send me your PBIX file (at brian.julius@enterprisedna.co), I’ll be happy to publish to web on our tenant and send you the link.

Thanks very much for participating!

• Brian
2 Likes

Bien Fernan, buen reporte y bienvenido a los challenges.

Saludos y Feliz Navidad

Federico

Bad timing for me, would love be present… I guess I will see the video once posted in you tube.

Thanks

F Pastor

1 Like

Fantastic report Kim. Loved some of the visualisations you chose. Very thoughtful and creative

2 Likes

Thanks FPastor and merry Christmas (or feliz natal as we say)! Although I can understand Spanish due to the similarity, around here we speak Portuguese hahaha

Brazil was a colony of Portugal (in fact at one and short point in time we became an united kingdom with Rio de Janeiro being the capital of the kingdom of Portugal). When we became independent, the first king was the son of the king of Portugal.

Oppp! Sorry Fernan, I thought you were Spanish.

Welcome to the challenge anyway!!!

F Pastor

1 Like

No problem. It was my bad also. I put a small flag of Brazil next to my name on my report, so I assumed that you saw it hahaha.

1 Like

All,

@sam.mckay and I were privileged to be the main presenters at DiscoverEI’s monthly Power BI for Enviros meetup event, where we discussed the charge, challenges, entries and lessons learned related to Data Challenge 17, our first challenge focused on environmental data.

For those who missed the event, here’s the Blog Page for it:

and if you click on the “Join YouTube” button behow our photos in the blog entry it will take you to the recording of the event.

One note - we didn’t have time to get through NEARLY all the great entries we wanted to discuss, so we will probably do a YouTube vid of our own highlighting these entries within the next few days or so.

If you’re interested in learning more about environmental applications of Power BI, then I definitely recommend regularly attending their monthly meetngs, starting back again in Jan 2022.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

All,

Just an update on the judging and closeout of this Challenge. @haroonali1000 and I met with the submitter/“client” (both the Data Analyst who has been our primary contact for this Challenge and a senior manager involved in the broader indicators project) for over an hour today and it was absolutely fascinating.

For the eDNA Challenges, we try not only to provide real-world, challenging and relevant scenenarios to help you develop your Power BI skills, but where possible provide the closest thing we can to a real-life consulting gig, since this is a direction many of our members are interested in pursuing (or already do) . In this way, the submitter has been incredibly generous with their time and input, providing very thoughtful and detailed perspectives on which elements of which reports really hit the mark for them and why.

Judging for this Challenge is complex, since we have not only the overall winner, non-member winner and newcomer winner to judge, but also each of the individual data category winners. The submitter is putting together their thoughts on the individual data categories for us by COB Monday, so we will be reviewing that, conferring and then releasing the final results by mid-week next week, possibly in video form…

Might seem like overkill to some, but we really want to take advantage of the unique situation we have here to give you perspective on how a real-life client viewed your submission. We think you’ll find it valuable and enlightening.

More to follow soon…

• Brian
6 Likes