Power BI Builds 1 - Executive Sales Report

Ahh that explains it. It does make it difficult to build a proper hierarchy though, lol

I think this is a good thing to flag up as it may be that there is a data quality issue in a real scenario
John

1 Like

Has anyone found on the sales table blank or incorrectly converted date rows?

This can sometimes happen when you create source data files or copy and paste from sources.

I normally convert fact data to CSV files if possibleā€¦?

I also normally enter the other tabs (Dimensions Data for Regions, Teams, Products and Locations) using Enter Data in Power BI Desktop and in production it can be useful stored as data flows.

I ended up fixing the date issue by just re-highlighting the date column and removing blanks.

Here is the sales ledger as text file if anyone is interested in this format for the sales transactions.SalesLedger.txt (1.1 MB)

Good call @jock will hopefully cover some tips on data quality in the solution post.

Good shout at @GarryA.

Thanks for sharing your file.

You are correct the data is randomised to ensure client confidentiality.

In future challenges we will hopefully be working with different data sources including CSV/flat files.

Look forward to seeing your submission.

Regards,
H

@GarryA Maybe this was part of the challenge, I spotted it also, and a couple of other issues in the data. I updated the formatting in the Excel file and saved as a new file.

2 Likes

Is it me or are all products at a 28.6% profit margin? I thought it was my formula but went back to the data set and it looks to be so.

Yep, thatā€™s what Iā€™m seeing as well.

Order Value Cumulative measures also look engineered like profits :smile: @jock

i have 20,000 order transactions from Jan to may 2020, Does that look right guys?

@chad and @JBright it had been noticed but decided against changing the file to prevent any confusion.

@GarryA 20000 sounds about right. Engineered never!!! (Joking it definitely was).

Looking forward to seeing the submissions.

Regards,
H

I sure hope so. :flushed:
Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m gonna get mine submittedā€¦my real life work is taking up too much time! :exploding_head:

Hey Sam,

This is a brilliant initiative! I think this will really fortify the wealth of knowledge you have on EDNA.

Thanks for all your work in putting this together!

Hi Guys, this is just a thought butā€¦I think the Sales fact data needs a bit more randomization as the accumulation values and profits by sales people isnā€™t really going to be demonstrating useful visuals as there pretty much the same values for the 4 months of data.

Having data over multiple years would make more meaningful visuals for the challenge.

I would also make the product table have a main category and then subcategory as the product nameā€¦this will also improve the options to visualize the dataā€¦

Just a note on the Team tab, its missing one name at line record 21ā€¦from memory!

Totally agree. This was essential to a couple of my visuals, so in my analysis I created the main product category assignments via an open card sort (n=1: me :grinning:).

• Brian

Hi @GarryA and @BrianJ ,

Appreciate the feedback and will take it on board moving forward.

Wont update this data set right now to save any confusion of having multiple versions.

@JBright the deadline is just an indication appreciate that not everyone will be able to commit so happy for you to submit when is good for you.

Regards,
H

This is a great initiative, as soon as I got the news, i started out , took me a couple of days to get it done, will post my solution nowā€¦have got many questions thoughā€¦looking forward to all replies and different aspects of sales analysis.
Good work Sam and the admin team!.

Mustafa

Well done team, this is an excellent initiativeā€¦
I have submitted by Dashboard too. :smile:

@EnterpriseDNA, @haroonali1000,

Agreed - this was a lot of fun, and seems to have generated a lot of interest and excitement. Canā€™t wait to see the other entries, and the different paths in analysis and visualization that others took.

Great job! Already looking forward to the next oneā€¦

• Brian
1 Like

How to publish the Report to Web? Can you please add some instructions.
Thanks in Advance!

Hi @haroonali1000,

Here is link to my solution:
https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNTIyYzU1YzktNjM3MS00NjE0LWJmYjQtNDQxZDM3ZTVkMDYwIiwidCI6IjQzZTZlNWZkLTRhOTItNGJmNy04MDZkLTgwN2IzMDUzZWQ5MCIsImMiOjF9

Here is photo:

Thanks
Jarrett

4 Likes