Power BI Builds 1 - Executive Sales Report

Is this closed now??

I haven’t had the time to really spend any time on it.

Guy

@GuyJohnson,

It is not closed. Add to it if you wish. More solutions the better!

Thanks
Jarrett

Executive Sales Report_David Olubukola Akanji.zip (3.2 MB)

that is my report files as requested @chris786 hope you did find it helpful to you

David

1 Like

Summary of the first Power BI Challenge coming soon. Watch out for a new thread to be posted soon.

Also Challenge number 2 will be starting end of this week.

Looking forward to it

Sam

2 Likes

Many thanks David, will dissect it and observe… Great work…

Hi All,

Thank you all for participating.

Be sure to checkout the wrap up piece.

See you all on the next challenge.

Haroon

2 Likes

David - love the scroller visual at bottom of page 3.

1 Like

Sam - this link shows an article with 6 products; do you have experience with and/or recommend one specifically?

Thank you for the feedback and the initiative.

I will like to thank the @EnterpriseDNA team, @Sam.mckay my invisible coach, @haroonali1000 for the inspiration in creating this amazing forum, for re-engineering the platform enabling it to be like a one spot end-to-end ecosystem to match with the ever-growing expectation of analysts and data analytics enthusiasts.

I have learnt enormously from the numerous Enterprise DNA tutorials, BI summits, master classes and the current Business Analytics week to build-on an own visualization persona inspired by your team.

It is a great pleasure to see “@Walter” spotlighted as winner of this first Enterprise DNA Power BI challenge. The feeling will remain!

@BrianJ, @JBright, @uriah1977,@mford, @sunip,@melissa (I constantly use your date m-code)….thank you all for your special words.

It’s an opportunity to thank submitting members and invite all to join the challenge as it provides a distinctive expression of your analytical and creative skills in an environment where you autonomously drive your imagination.

Walter

6 Likes

Good to know you love it , it look very great on report, I must say

Amazing work. I’m still learning and was wondering if you had your pbix link available? Thank you and hope to talk to soon.

@kellyctex,

Welcome to the forum – great to have you here!

Thanks very much for the positive feedback. I just posted my PBIX file up above with my original entry. I hope you find it useful. Feel free to give a shout if you have any questions.

• Brian

P.S. we are ALL still learning Power BI. :grinning:

1 Like

I am going through and doing the past challenges too, so am sharing my take on #1!

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiNDRhODVkNWYtYmQ3ZS00MDc4LWFlODEtZjUyZGFjOTg5YjZkIiwidCI6IjkyOWVlMzI0LTk3YzQtNDk1YS04MjM5LTZhZDg3NDk0MGVlYyIsImMiOjN9&pageName=ReportSection

As an executive dashboard I made it one page only.

With this one I focused on:

1. Profit as the primary measure (Are we making money?)
  2. Comparison to previous month as baseline (How are we trending?)
  3. Top and bottom 5 (Where did we do well? Where did we need improvement?)

One of the challenges with this data source was it was rather flat, as in the downs were usually met with an up at other times. So I provided a tooltip on the top/bottom 5 that gave the whole view as well.

For example, some teams were in the bottom 5, but had actually made more profit over the whole time period than top performer for that month.

I’ve also included all the model and measures surfaced in the report:

Edit: I also wanted to add that I wanted to balance the MOM% with MOM$ in the charts. Sometimes %'s can be heavily skewed when the $'s are low.

8 Likes

Haha that’s great, we’ll done

1 Like

Thanks @sam.mckay!

The longest part was getting that tooltip to show profit every month while keeping all the filters from the main page (so you could choose a state from the map, as an example, and then see the tooltip as of that state/product combo on the product bar). I eventually gave up trying to use the Date table on the axis and used the Sales table [Sales Date] to create a [Sales Month], with a REMOVEFILTERS(‘Date’) on a separate [Profit] measure. I learned there is some interesting filter ordering in play with tooltips and filtering.

2 Likes

Nice work Zoe :slight_smile:

1 Like

@datazoe,

Terrific entries, and I’m really enjoying reading your writeups. I’ve always included an "About"page at the end of my reports as well, but it never occurred to me to make them anything other than a static page. I love the way you’ve structured yours, both the info included, and the way the table is sliceable.

I’m curious – what tool(s) did you use to extract all the measure code and the other info to build the table visual?

Great stuff. Really looking forward to your future entries and writeups.

• Brian
1 Like

@BrianJ Thank you for your kind words! Your posts and entries are always great too!

Every power bi data model I create I utilize the Vertipaq Analyzer for, so I copy that table from the “Dax Expressions” tab and include it in via “Enter Data”.

You can also directly query a model to get the same data, which is what I do for my Power BI Premium or Analysis Services data models.

2 Likes

You can also get the expressions for measures using the DMV’s inside DAX Studio, specifically the $SYSTEM.MDSCHEMA_MEASURES data management view. Use a SQL query like:

SELECT [Measure_Name], [Expression] FROM $SYSTEM.MDSCHEMA_MEASURES

Hope this helps.
Greg

4 Likes