Power BI Accelerator Week #1 is Live!

I am struggling on sorting the dates in my chart. I sorted MonthnYear column in Dates table, but that did not rectify the sorting in my chart.

1 Like

@rst5 ,

Great to see your going back through some of the past Accelerator sessions. Can you please provide a screenshot (or your PBIX) of the chart you’re having trouble sorting?

Thanks.

– Brian

2 Likes

Thank you so much @BrianJ for your response. I really appreciate quick reply :slight_smile:
However, on further trying out and following below steps I was able to sort the Month & Year column:

1. Used [Month & Year] column on x axis in the chart.
  2. Selected [Month & Year] column and then on the ribbon at top, selected SortBy–>[MonthnYear].
  3. Coming back on the chart and clicking the 3 dots on top right corner of the chart → SortBy → [Month & Year]

This helped me in sorting my x axis. I have attached screenshot and also my .pbix file. Could you please confirm if that my approach is correct or not.

Thanks,
Raina
Power BI Accelerator -Week 1 Problem.pbix (8.7 MB)

2 Likes

@rst5 ,

Spot on – exactly the right way to do it.

– Brian

2 Likes

Hi @BrianJ

Please find in attachement my submission to the first week of the Power BI Accelerator.

The only comment I will made is because I have participated before this one to the week 2, week 3 and week 4 rounds, this week 1 was easy.

I encourage everyone who is taking the Accelerator to start with week 1 and follow the weeks in order as the difficulty increase week by week.

Thanks a lot for this opportunity.

2 Likes

@MehdiH ,

That’s great to hear, and is my hope for everyone participating regularly in Accelerator - that over time you’ll go back and revisit your earlier entries and find things that you struggled with at the time now look much easier. If that happens frequently, we’ll know this initiative is successful.

Thanks for your continued support and engagement!

• Brian
2 Likes

Hi Brian, not sure if I submitted this assignment. Got to have the certificate!!!

Not a certificate but a “Completion” badge. Power BI Accelerator Week #3 is Live! - Power BI Accelerator - Enterprise DNA Forum

1 Like

@stevens ,

Looking good! I expect you rolled through that one quickly, given what you’ve done to date in #2, #3 and #4.

• Brian
1 Like

Hello!
I know I’m late to this party - and a rank beginner as well. After unzipping the file how do I adjust the file paths?

@mpchean ,

I’m away from my computer at the moment, so can’t send a screenshot but let me try to do it verbally.

Open the PBIX
Click on Transform to go into Power Query
On the left side, click on the relevant table
On the right side, double click the source step
This should bring up a dialog box from which you can change the source path
Do this for all tables needed
Click Close and Apply

Hope that’s helpful.

• Brian
1 Like

Hi:
Can someone direct me to where the original Excel data for the week 1 is located?
Also, is it the case that to enroll in the Accelerator is an additional charge beyond the membership?
While I’m asking questions the intro post mentions a video to be posted. Where
would this be?

Thanks for your help.
Mike

Hi @mpchean
We didn’t need the excel data file to complete the accelerator problem for week 1.

Also the solutions to the Accelerator problems are located on the Learning Center Portal

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Keith

1 Like

@Keith thanks!
And I found the answer to my question about the charge for the Accelerator.

@mpchean ,

No, no additional charge – all Accelerator content and events are included in your Enterprise DNA membership.

As @Keith said above, the Excel file is not necessary for the Week #1 activity, but if you’d like to play around with it anyway, I have attached it below.

• Brian

Retail Site Performance.xlsx (762.4 KB)

1 Like

Thank you @BrianJ.

I am having an issue with the month & year sort order. I notice that when Sam drops total sales & month & year on the model it is sorted correctly, but when I do it I get an alphabetical sort Apr 2018, Apr 2019 … How can I solve this?

Hi @mpchean ,

Browse the posting to message 59 above that will answer your question concerning the sort.

thanks
Keith

1 Like

Hi All:
Just want to apologize for cluttering the chat with questions that it turns out are answered. Will do better.

Mike