NOTE: Changes in Workout Frequency

All,

You will note on the main workout page that as of today (June 4, 2023) we’ve made some changes to the frequency of some of the workouts - dropping some from twice a week to once a week, or from once a week to once every two weeks.

Some of this is based on participation levels, but also on amount of time necessary to complete a given workout. Recognizing that folks have a limited amount of time per week to dedicate to these exercises, we wanted to provide some additional time to develop complete solutions without feeling the pressure of a ticking clock, and the sense that you were “getting further behind” in these workouts, especially since they are intended to be durable exercises that you can start and complete any time.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks!

• Brian
8 Likes

Just a quick note from me regarding the change of frequency etc to workouts. Totally support this change, I found I was generally only able to take part in Gustaw’s challenges and had little time/brain power left over to take part in others despite wanting to. I think this will mean I can take part in Gustaw’s challenges and the more of the others. Really pleased to hear this.

4 Likes

Hi @BrianJ , I would be thankful if SQL and Data Analysis workout instructors could take care about their part. The solutions are never provided.

1 Like

@Tural ,

Thanks for participating. We will make sure that solutions get posted for all of those workouts as well.

• Brian
2 Likes

I disagree that solutions aren’t posted. I did check some of the Sql and Data Analysis. the solutions are posted. The current Sql workout, the solution would be on June 4 its only June 5. We all have remember that they might be volunteering to do this. One day is not going to hurt. :wink:

I definitely appreciate all the workout instructors for creating and testing the solution before posting the actual workout for us to do.

Have a great day :slight_smile:
thanks Keith

2 Likes

Hi @Keith ,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I appreciate your viewpoint and the reminder about the great work all our volunteer instructors, including Kedeisha Bryan, do. I fully agree that they are doing a remarkable job in contributing to this community, and I am grateful for their efforts.

I might have not explained myself properly earlier. When I said SQL and Data Analysis, I was actually referring to the same instructor, since Kedeisha is handling both these workouts. I noted that only half of the Data Analysis workouts have been solved. I’m not criticizing or blaming, just kindly pointing out an area where we might need some help.

I believe the strength of our community lies in collaborative problem-solving. So, perhaps someone else in the community might want to help in providing solutions to these workouts. This could also create more interactive and learning opportunities for everyone involved.

Thank you for understanding and taking the time to engage in this discussion. I look forward to more enriching conversations and learning experiences.

Kind regards,
Tural

3 Likes

I agree with these changes, participants can have more time to go through the workouts more.

1 Like

@Tural / @Keith ,

To clarify, it IS our intent that each workout leader post the solution to their current workout the day before the next workout is posted.

That’s been the case for over 95% of the workouts posted to date (with the exception of the Excel BI nightly challenges, which pre-date our workouts and operate in a slightly different way - Vijay does not post solutions, but there are so many expert community solutions for each one that a lead solution is not necessary).

I do think it’s important that those participating are ensured of at minimum the solution from the workout lead to compare their answers and approach with, and we will work on getting that percentage up to 100% soon.

Thanks to both of you for your continued participation and engagement in the workout initiative - greatly appreciated.

• Brian
3 Likes

Hi All. I need help understanding what this workout thing is. I have been very busy at work and haven’t kept up with all the changes happening at Enterprise DNA. How do I catch up? It seems so much has changed. Do we first need to do a course before we can do a workout. Is there a video I can watch to catch up? There is just so much happening here. I am interested in SQL workouts but does one need to be an expert in terms of the workouts. I did SQL at Uni but would love some in the wild training. The entire interface has changed. I was so used to the old GUI and I am struggling to find any sort of systematic order with this one. There are learning paths and I am not sure how to circumnavigate this new world. Where do I just find a list of all the courses. Any advice is most welcome.

2 Likes

Hi @SammiP I’d say you don’t need to do a course before trying the workouts. They are bite sized rather than a full piece of work which the challenges were. I can’t speak for the SQL workouts, as I’ve not tried/looked at them, but I suspect you would be able to complete them with your existing knowledge, referring to the EDNA SQL content and/or some googling.

The workouts are not set up in a way that you must complete them by a certain date, they are going to be part of a catalogue of workouts so you can dive in and do them in any order at any time. There have been a lot of workouts posted so far in order to build a bit of a catalogue and the release of more workouts will move to one every couple of works for most of them (The Excel workouts differ here as they’re from existing content provided).

I’ve been completed the Data Viz workouts by Gustaw but intend to now pick up more of the DAX workouts and Data Modelling.

So don’t worry, relax, the workouts are bite sized and are essentially a library that you can dip into when you have time without deadlines.

3 Likes

Hi
I have been using for a bit of Power Query and I went through the Power Query workout and learnt a lot of function and technique and certainly enjoy these challenges and give me a time to think about the query.

I hope Matthias or winners can provide the Power Query excel files for the solutions plus advance editor screenshot. This will be very helpful for everyone.
Many thanks
Cindy

2 Likes