New External Tool to Create Practice Datasets

Looks like you’ve only captured the last couple of items i was after. Does the powershell script show “pbixFile =” … ?

i just don’t want to give to much info

I get that. I work for a security consious company myself.

Are you able to try running the pbix dataset file via windows run? so press Win+R and in the dialogue box that pops up, paste: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools\Practice Dataset\Practice Dataset.pbix

yes worked

Cool. Can you try the attached version of the script.Practice Dataset.ps1 (3.0 KB)

I made a quick change to where i think the problem is.

.ps1…where do i save that?..shouldn’t it be json fil

This will replace the one originaly installed into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools\Practice Dataset\

do i go back to the origional json file

does nothing

Thanks @Keith. I really appreciate you taking the time to assist with this.

Either the original or the debug version would have triggered the PS script.

Though since it isn’t working, can you run the debug version and send me a screen shot - especially if there is anything in red.

I think the problem is to do with access to run the Power BI Desktop application - even though it looks like it finds it.

The results from the debug will help me determine this. So i can try to work on a solution for you tonight.

run the with no debug…same issue only goes to power shell window where you click on yes or no
run with debug

i hope this help

Thanks! That does indeed help. It was as I suspected.

Looks like I have a bit of work to do tonight.

1 Like

Hi there,
How are you making out with the problem?

Just wondering :slight_smile:
thanks
Keith

Well timed. I think i have a fix, just need to finalise the script. Give me a few minutes.

1 Like

Hey @Keith

Can you try this version of the PS script in debug mode.

Practice Dataset.ps1 (3.0 KB)

Hi @samaguire,
Worked under debug but it doesn’t close the power shell window after the power bi open up under a new window.

:slight_smile:
Keith

Is powershell waiting for you to press a key?

yes