Measure based on day of week

I have a measure that takes the sum of units sold yesterday. I have another measure that takes the sum of units sold for the day before yesterday (previous day). I’m using a date offset to achieve the logic for these measures, as follows:

Sold Qty Yesterday =

var soldqtytoday = CALCULATE([Sold Qty], FILTER(‘rpt Calendar_Master’, ‘rpt Calendar_Master’[dayoffset] = -1) )

return

IF(soldqtytoday = BLANK(), 0, soldqtytoday

Sold Qty Previous Day =

var soldpreviousday = CALCULATE([Sold Qty], FILTER(‘rpt Calendar_Master’, ‘rpt Calendar_Master’[dayoffset] = -2) )

return

IF(soldpreviousday = BLANK(), 0, soldpreviousday)

This works great so far. Except that when I look at the report on Mondays, I want to see the units sold for yesterday to sum up those for Saturday and Sunday, rather than just Sunday. I also want the previous day to equal friday instead of Saturday.

For every other day, I wat the measyre to provide values true to yesterday and previous day except for on Monday, when Yesterday = sum of Saturday and Sunday and Previous day = Friday.

For dayoffsets in my date table, I use the following logic:
today = 0,
yesterday = -1
previous day = -2
day before previous day = -3.

If I open the report on Monday, then
Monday = 0,
Sunday = -1
Saturday = -2
Friday = -3

I think there’s a way to do this using nested if statements. For Sold Qty Yesterday, I believe I need to define that if (today) = Monday, then take a sum of units sold for when dayoffset = -1 and -2 (which on monday are saturday and sunday using date offsets). Otherwise, if today = any other day, take the sum of units sold for dayoffset = -1.

For the sold qty previous day, I believe I need to use a similar logic. if(today) = Monday, then take the sum of dayoffset = -3 (which in this case would be friday).

Can someone help with the DAX so I can adjust the measures above with the right logic to account for this new logic that applies to Mondays only?

Thanks!

@BrianJ

Hi @pete.langlois

I’d imagine this can be solved by leveraging the [Dates] table and [Is Business Day] of [Is Weekday] fields, but is dependent upon your implementation. To help the forum members further analyze your current state and visualize your issue, could you please provide as many as you can of:

• Your work-in-progress PBIX file, using sanitized data if necessary
  • Your dataset as an Excel file (again, sanitized if necessary)
  • A detailed mock-up (marked-up screenshot or Excel file) of your desired outcome.

Also, if you provide DAX in your post, please format it using the built-in formatter.

Greg
_eDNA Forum - Format DAX

Hi @pete.langlois

Please check this post, can be useful for you.

@pete.langlois,

Here’s another one I think you’ll find very relevant and useful:

Also, @Greg put together a fantastic DAX Patterns section of the forum on previous value that you should definitely take a look at if you haven’t yet:

I hope this is helpful.

– Brian

It’s great to know that you are making progress with your query @pete.langlois. Please don’t forget if your question has been answered within the forum it is important to mark your thread as ‘solved’. Also, we’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Hi @pete.langlois, did the response provided by @jbressan and @Greg help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hi @pete.langlois, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 1st of April. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @pete.langlois, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

We’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!