Managing measures in a Reused dataset

I have a dataset that I created in Power Bi and published to a workspace. It has a measures table and a couple of subfolders within the measures table.

In a separate report, I connected to this Power Bi dataset, and created additional measures, which have placed themselves into the Measures Table.

However, my measures in the second report are now getting in a mess.

• I can’t create additional subfolders in the measures table

• I can’t move measures into the subfolders of the original dataset.

How do I organise my measures in the second report?

Rosey

The solution I have for this is to create an empty table (without hiding/deleting the empty column) titled “_Report Model” in the original dataset.
(The underscore at the beginning of the name sorts this table to the top of the table list)

Then, in the connected file (once it has synced to the updated original file), I put my measures into that table.
if you think you will need more than one such table, create additional blanks in the original dataset.

Normally, I have less than a dozen measures that need to be added to a connected report (I have a LOT of measures in my dataset), so one empty table is enough for me.

1 Like

Thanks for posting your question @RoseyAlexa. To receive a resolution in a timely manner please make sure that you provide all the necessary details on this thread.

Here is a potential list of additional information to include in this thread; demo pbix file, images of the entire scenario you are dealing with, screenshot of the data model, details of how you want to visualize a result, and any other supporting links and details.

Including all of the above will likely enable a quick solution to your question.

Thank you @Heather . That worked perfectly !

1 Like

How can we create subfolders or move the columns to sub folders under Fields either thru Measures or a table.

Hi @sunip,

That can be done in Model view, select all that you want to move to a sub folder and then enter a folder name in the Properties Pane “Display folder” field.

1 Like

@RoseyAlexa one additional note on this message - something i have just discovered is that using some symbols in your table names may cause a glitch in the mode view.

As a result, I have changed my dataset to remove the underscore from the beginning of the report model table. The underscore was used to mimic the measure table behavior, bringing it to the top of the table list.

My new solution is to add a very simple measure to the Report Model table (my solution was to move my “Max Date” measure, referenced in some other measures but not shown on the report) - then I can hide the empty column and then it is a true measure table.

Hopefully that underscore didn’t cause you any issues.