How to build a new column from cell value?

Hi,
I´m working for a short-term rental company and we want to perform some deep analysis for each property we are managing. The issue we have is that we get our date from our PMS (third party application) in some kind of block or “calendar format” for where the property name is embedded in the same block. I´ve seen a few videos from Melissa, which are great, and found some very useful tips, but it seems that nothing really doesn´t fit my needs…or at least I just can´t get my head around this.
What I need is to “extract” somehow the property name from the block and create a separate column for it in order to be able to filter later on the property name.
I´ll leave you with a screenshot of how data actually looks like. Thank you for your help!

RR.20201030.csv (121.5 KB)

Hello @daniel.k,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

Is this the type of result that you’re looking for? Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

I’m also attaching the CSV as well as PBIX file of my working for the reference wherein you can review the transformations steps performed.

Just give a shout whenever you find difficulty in understanding the transformation steps.

Hoping you find this useful and meets your requirements that you’ve been looking for. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

RR.20201030.csv (121.5 KB)

Extracting Property Names - Harsh.pbix (86.6 KB)

Hello @daniel.k,

Or you can also show it like this -

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Extracting Property Names - Harsh v2.pbix (88.0 KB)

Hello, @daniel.k.

Thank you very much for this super interesting post.
It solves it in a super simple way and I’m even getting rid of that simplicity.

See the image below.

Extracting Property Names - Gifted.pbix (90.9 KB)
Then you can apply the FILL DOWN if you think it is necessary.

@Harsh I was here studying your file to see how you solve the problem and it is very good, so I have more than one way to solve the same problem, Thanks.

In case of any doubt please do not hesitate to contact.

Best regards

Gifted

Hi @daniel.k, did the response provided by the contributors help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get, and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark the thread as solved. In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. Thanks!

Hi @Harsh,

Thank you very much for looking into this. I´ve downloaded the file you prepared and could see how you archived this.
It´s been very helpful! Appreciate your time and effort!
Thank you!! Wish you a great week!

Hi @Gifted,

I finally had the time to look on your solution. Thank you very much!! Want you know you that you hurt my ego! (“I solved that in a super simple way”…) hahahaa! Sometimes, when you are staring at something so much you can´t see it anymore. Appreciate your time and effort! Great solution!
have a great week!!

1 Like