Latest Enterprise DNA Initiatives

Geospatial Analysis in Power BI - The Third New Course on Enterprise DNA’s Education Platform in 2021

All,

In our continuing effort to bring you unparalleled variety and quality of new course content each month, we are extremely excited to present our newest platform course, “Geospatial Analysis in Power BI” by Enterprise DNA expert Paul Lucassen. This course fills one of our few significant content gaps and is directly responsive to the frequent member requests we have received to provide greater instruction in this area.

If you are not familiar with Paul, he the founder of Lucassen Consulting in the Netherlands and is an internationally recognized expert on supply chain analyses, locational intelligence, transportation and logistics, and frankly is doing things in Power BI with geospatial data BI that I’ve never seen done before except in high-end, dedicated GIS packages. Despite the sophistication of his analyses, I think you will find this course very accessible and entertaining, as Paul explains even complex concepts clearly and in plain language.

Even with no prior background in geospatial analysis, you will quickly develop comfort with key concepts such as georeferencing, Haversine distance, Well Known Text and many others and soon find yourself incorporating striking map visuals and powerful spatial analyses into your reports to gain a new level of insight into your data. In addition to Paul’s expert instruction, each course module includes a full PBIX file, so that you can really dig into the details and see exactly how Paul constructed his reports – each one based on real-world projects for actual clients, using a wide range of mapping visuals – from the native map visuals in Power BI to Icon Map, currently the most powerful and flexible geospatial custom visual. Even if your work has nothing to do with supply chain/logistics, the concepts taught in this course are highly generalizable and applicable to a broad array of industries and scenarios.

We are eager for you to dive into this course, and to get your feedback, as Paul and I have already begun brainstorming ideas for a sequel, since the list of fascinating and valuable geospatial analyses and techniques is a long one. Huge thanks to Paul for his effort and expertise in putting this wonderful course together. Enjoy!

• Brian Julius
    Enterprise DNA Chief Content Manager

P.S. If you were expecting Mudassir Ali’s Advanced Visualization course this month, not to worry! We’re upping the ante even further this Spring with Mudassir’s extensive two-part course coming in April and May, PLUS our initial foray into Power Apps and Power Automate, with the newest member of the Enterprise DNA Expert Team (more to follow on that soon, so stay tuned…)

7 Likes

Fantastic stuff folks, can’t wait to get stuck in! Intrigued about the new member of the EDNA Expert team, I’m sure they’ll be awesome! The content road map is mouth watering to say the least.

1 Like

Went through the course this afternoon, really impressive what the mapping capabilities are capable of.

@DavieJoe,

It is, isn’t it? Especially once you get comfortable using Icon Map, it really feels like a huge addition to your Power BI toolbox. Here are some additional resources that Paul and I have come across that you may find useful:

Also, if you go to the Icon Map website, you can download the current beta version which is not yet available in the Microsoft AppSource.

Finally, attached is a PBIX file that James Dales, the developer of Icon Map, posted on the Microsoft community with a bunch of great examples of different analyses that form a nice complement to the examples provided by Paul in his course

Really glad to hear you enjoyed the course.

• Brian

Icon Map V2 Examples (1).pbix (26.8 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks Brian, really appreciate the links! Will delve in over the weekend. The London Power BI group is my local group so lucky enough to have witnessed James & Prathy exhibiting their considerable Power BI & map skills in person a few times (back in the pre Corona world). The course is really impressive!

2 Likes

Hi,

is the Gas Grid PBIX missing the file Stedin_HS_Stations.xlsx in the resources?

@DavieJoe,

Let me check into that and get back to you shortly…

• Brian
1 Like

@DavieJoe,

I’ve gone through our online file system and don’t see that file either. Have a message in to @Paul to check on this, but it’s late in the Netherlands so I don’t expect to hear back from him til tomorrow, but will let you know soon as I do. Thanks for bringing this to our attention – we’ll get it resolved as soon as possible.

• Brian
1 Like

No worries at all, happy to provide a little help wherever I can :wink:

1 Like

@DavieJoe,
Hi David, it would seem I missed that one, just uploaded it and I am sure it will be added soon. Nice to learn you know James, I mentioned to him I was doing a video about WKT in Icon map, inspired by his videos. I frequently attend the London Power BI group webinars. Another group you may know is the London Business Analytics Group, they share very good videos on mapping too.

1 Like

Thanks Brian, I will download the file a bit later. Great to hear you are a fan of the London PUG. I’ve kept meaning to tune in to the London Analytics Group, so much content so little time haha! I’d also recommend the Power Platform Finance group/website as they’ve have some great content geared towards finance. (Don’t worry, EDNA is my first love :wink:)

@DavieJoe,

Thanks for the recommendations – I’ll definitely check those out.

Here’s the file from Paul. I’ve also sent this off to the team that maintains the portal site for posting there as well.

Stedin_HS_Stations (1).xlsx (24.9 KB)

• Brian
1 Like

Many thanks Brian! :+1:t2::+1:t2:

This post is part of the Enterprise DNA platform initiative to provide information on our courses.

To ask any questions on the content covered in this category please start a new topic within the forum. You may check this how-to guide for reference - How To Use The Enterprise DNA Support Forum