Extended Date Table (Power Query M function)

Just adding some other search terms: power query calendar table, calendar function

5 Likes

Hi Melissa:

This really cool and thoughtful of you for sharing!

Best regards,

Bill S

2 Likes

Thanks @Melissa, you are awesome :slight_smile:
Have a beautiful day
Najah

2 Likes

Agree just amazing work.

1 Like

Any chance we can get a separate Extended Time Table seeing we are suggested to split out time from date. Would be great if we could get an Extended Time Table to go with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi David,

Makes sense, you can find it here:

4 Likes

Thank you again Melissa!

1 Like

Very good Melissa. I’ve just voted for a new virtual pbi training about all this. I really hope you guys manage to get some time to do it.
Thank you so much

1 Like

Hi Pedro,

As a matter of fact @BrianJ and I are collaborating on a Time Intelligence series as we speak and of course we will also be covering the Date table. So if you haven’t already, subscribe to the Enterprise DNA YouTube channel so you won’t miss a thing! :wink:

4 Likes

oooohhhh that is soooooooo cooooll!!! and yes i am a dna youtube subscriber for quite a while now. And it’s a great idea to teach also about TI measures concerning last week or weeks or month or quarter regarding the beginning of the year.
Thanks a lot Melissa. That is great news!!!

1 Like

Muchas gracias Melisa, Awesome

1 Like

This is very helpful Melisa, you are a rockstar here.

1 Like

@Melissa I need to adjust the ISO Year column to match our “week-years.”
Our weeks run Sunday - Saturday, and our billing “months” end on the last Saturday in the calendar month.
I have been trying to adjust the code in the InsertWeekNumber= line to match this calendar. Can you explain out the last ‘else’ line in that code?
else Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([Date])-(Date.DayOfWeek([Date], Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7), type number),
Specifically - Why is it adding 1, then 10 before dividing by 7?
Learning a ton here. . .
Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @kjssdca,

Thanks for your question.

By default the Power Query Date.DayOfWeek function returns a number between 0 and 6 starting on Sunday. To return the weekday number according to ISO8601 rules, you have to add the optional first-weekday value (= Day.Monday) and change the numbering so it runs between 1 and 7.
This explains the +1

The +10 / 7 is part of the algorithm for calculating the week number, you can find more on that here.

If you need assistance creating a customized week number, please create a new topic. You’ll find that there’s an increasing number of active members here who’d like to help out. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you @Melissa for sharing! Date Table is getting better and better :+1:

Your code has opened my appetite to keep the “EndDate” dynamic, so it will always be the last day of the current year. That would save me from updating/maintaining the Dates table in all my reports next year(unless there is another way which I am not aware of :smiley: )

Using your M code, I have:
1- Removed “EndDate as date” from the first line and;
2- Added another line “EndDate = Date.EndOfYear(CurrentDate),” after the “Current Date”.

2 Likes

Hi @Hesham,

Within this category you can also find a topic on creating a dynamic Start- and Enddate.

In addition there will also be a video on that topic in the Time Intelligence series Brian and I are doing. We’ll add a link here as soon as it’s released to the Enterprise DNA Channel.

Thanks for sharing your method

4 Likes

Thanks @Melissa!!!

This post came just right in time!!

:+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Hi Melissa,
The optional parameters work fine, would it be possible to add a selection parameter to show Monday as Weekday 1 please, so users can select either 0 or 1.
Paul

1 Like

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your question!

:thinking: That sounds like a nice addition indeed. So added the optional WDStartNum parameter this allows you to set the [DayOfWeek] numbering from either 0-6 or 1-7. However if omitted, the standard numbering will be 0-6.

Keep in mind that this doesn’t affect the start of the week day, that will always remain Monday as is custom to this Calendar and the ISO week logic.

3 Likes

Hi Melissa,

that’s very cool. Thank you for that.
I’d like to ask you a favour, what if the StartDate and EndDate I wanted to grab from the Table “Sales”, column “Sales Date”, using MIN and MAX?

Can you please help me with that?

Thanks.
Daniel

2 Likes