Dynamic maps , showing direction to users according to their location

Hello,
Ideally looking for some Mentoring to guide me in the right direction,

I am volunteering for an organization that is looking to provide some real-time information to the public regarding the availability of hospital beds/oxygen and other life-saving supplies for COVID 19 Patients.

What I am looking to do is to create a dashboard to be displayed on a website. Where the dashboard (ideally )detects users’ location and according to requirement shows nearest hospitals that have beds available or nearby places where they can go to get oxygen for patients, etc.

Or maybe they can click to get the location sent to them on WhatsApp, by clicking on the map. which they can use on google maps on their mobile

I am a little embarrassed asking for such a vague question, I am just looking for direction, guidance, and inspiration on how to help out people in this crisis situation.

If I can manage, this will also be my very first project. so I am not sure if I am looking at a too big task for my first project.

Thanks in advance.

@jps,

Sounds like an incredibly valuable project. I am looping in @Paul, our resident Geospatial maestro, whom I think will be able to give you some good context as to what this might involve and how difficult it may be, as I know he’s done a lot of work integrating geospatial data, Power BI and remote sensors/IOT.

If you haven’t already taken it, I would very highly recommend the recent course he did on the Enterprise DNA learning platform on Geospatial Analysis in Power BI. While not specific to your project, it will give you an excellent foundation, as well as a great sense of what’s possible withiin Power BI from a geospatial perspective.

Good luck with your project!

• Brian

https://forum.enterprisedna.co/t/geospatial-analysis-in-power-bi-the-third-new-course-on-enterprise-dna-s-education-platform-in-2021/15397

1 Like

Hi,
Great question indeed. Breaking it down, what is the size of the area covered, is it a country, state, or city? I imagine a points map and a legend with the available medical facilities and their capabilities in different colors.
You could then use actual distance or straightline distance to show the nearest by facility. @BrianJ referred to the Geospatial course, it contains fully worked out examples for distance and nearby within a selectable distance.
As for the interactivity, detecting the users location is not something I have experience with. However, some map visuals, like Mapbox allow to geocode an address inside the visual.
Currently working on a video to show a map with supermarkets (read hospitals) and a background map with a geographical shape, a Thiessen Voronoi polygon, which looks like a spiders web, with the points (users) on it. You can identify the nearest supermarket immediately. Will test using google maps as a background map displaying a kml or kmz spider web. Hope this helps, do not hesitate to ask further and you have given me some great inspiration on how to add to the content, thanks for that.
Paul

3 Likes

Hi @jps, did the response provided by @BrianJ and @Paul help you solve your query? If not, how far did you get and what kind of help you need further? If yes, kindly mark as solution the answer that solved your query. Thanks!

Hi @jps, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 24th of April. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Hi @jps, due to inactivity, a response on this post has been tagged as “Solution”. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the check box.

We’ve recently launched the Enterprise DNA Forum User Experience Survey, please feel free to answer it and give your insights on how we can further improve the Support forum. Thanks!

Thank you So much @BrianJ and @Paul for the above response. - Yeah ill look forward to more of your content on the topic.

1 Like