DAX Clean Up tool - now up on website....try it out!

Our DAX Clean Up tool is now live!

Try it out and let us know what you think.

More information and updates to come very soon.

Sam

Any thoughts from the community on our new tool?

I’m looking for what you think about it, and also how can it be improved. We’re still at version 1 with it.

We’re looking for this to be an invaluable tool for anyone writing DAX formulas.

Sam

I think it will be very helpful in having a tool like this, an excellent idea. Just one thing, it looks like there is a new line after every operator, which I think makes for too many new lines of code, but still helpful.

This pattern would be more readable to me:

Cumulative Results =
CALCULATE ([Actuals ('000)],
    FILTER ( ALL ( Dates ), Dates[Date] <= MAX ( Dates[Date] ) )
)

Too many lines in this pattern:

Cumulative Results =
    CALCULATE (
       [Actuals  ( '000 )],
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Dates ),
            Dates[Date] <
             =
                MAX ( Dates[Date] )
        )
    )

If you have any questions regarding this post, feel free to re-open the thread by removing the removing the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. You may check this how-to guide for reference - How To Use The Enterprise DNA Support Forum Thanks!

Yep I agree on this, and we’re looking into this one asap.

I’ll update more on this when we have an alternative option for this formatting

Sam

One thing you can do in DAX Clean Up compared to the ‘other’ tool :grinning:

Is you can actually edit your formula within the app.

Say you don’t like exactly how it looks you can make small adjustments very quickly within the app itself.

I think this is an awesome addition

2 Likes

Hi Sam,

Question. Could you make the DAX Clean up tool and Knowledge-base accessible from within the Forum, just like Edna by placing it on the Header?

3 Likes

Yep, we are working on this right now! Updates should be on website by end of week.

All new tools and apps we are working on will be very visible soon.

Sam

As per the best practices, table name should be in quotes and tool is not showing table name in quotes.
Scanned =
CALCULATE (
[Deliveries],
FILTER ( Deliveries, Deliveries[Match Method] = “Scanned” )
)

Not sure I entirely agree with this.

We’ve made many great updates to a lot of the logic recently.

Check it out.

1 Like

Quotes are applicable when you have space or a special character in a table’s name.

Works great, if now we can add ability to point out the mistakes in the code then it would be amazing, in the below image I have removed comma and it is still able to format so if the formatter can tell the user that the code isn’t correct then they won’t scratch their heads when they take the formatted code and put it in their file.

1 Like

(Speaking with no knowledge of the internals of the DAX Clean Up tool, but…) I doubt this will be possible as my understanding is that its a code formatter and not a syntax checker…
Greg

It’s unlikely we’ll be doing this. As the additional logic would be to complex and there is too many updates from MS all the time that would be too difficult to monitor.

I’ve made a decision to let the Power BI desktop formula area do this part.

We’re going in a slightly different direction.

More details will be released very soon…

Sam