Custom total using another field

Hi,
I would love some help on creating a customised total for a field that is based on an expression?
I wish to calculate the sum by project manager of the number of times a project has past it’s forecast end date based on Today() as the reference date - 07/08/2020.

Is it possible to put this count as a total in the Forecast End Date field as shown below?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello @Kazza,

I’m afraid to say but this might not be possible because your “ForecastEndDate” is in the form of “Date” format and this is being dragged under the Rows category of the Matrix. Now, if you create a measure and drag it under the Values category it will add up just another column to show the “Totals” figure instead of showing it under the “ForecastEndDate”. Below is the screenshot provided for the reference -

Custom Total Using Another Field - 1

And I guess, I’d provided this similar type of solution on the Forum on 30th June’2020 where I’d mentioned the same issue why this was not possible and how alternatively you can show this in your Matrix visual. Below are the screenshot provided for the reference.

Custom Total Using Another Field - 2

Custom Total Using Another Field - 3

I’m providing a link below of the solution which I’d provided for the reference where it contains the reasons why this was not possible.

Also just couple of days back Adam Saxton from Guy in a Cube created a video where he has addressed similar sort of issue where one wants to show two different contexts within the same column of the visual. This video is very much applicable in this scenario as well.

Lastly, I’m providing the working of my PBIX file which I’d attached in my previous post.

Hoping this helps you.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Using Matrix with Customized Totals.pbix (119.2 KB)

Thank you for your reply. I thought perhaps I hadn’t explained it properly hence I explained it a different way. I need to show the totals hence, I think I’ll need to create another visualisation to show the totals. Thanks again for taking the time.

Hello @Kazza,

You’re Welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad to I was able to help you.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
Harsh

Hi Kazza,

Why don’t you try this one?
I’ve used the file provided by @Harsh - thanks @Harsh (I hope you don’t mind) :+1:

Using Matrix with Customized Totals_v2.pbix (119.6 KB)

Everything has been done using just 1 measure:

Forecast Date. =
VAR SelectedEndDate = SELECTEDVALUE ( Data[Forecast End Date] ) 
VAR Result = SelectedEndDate 
VAR Result2 = SUMX (
    SUMMARIZE (
        Data,
        Data[Forecast End Date],
        Data[Project],
        "@calc", IF ( Data[Forecast End Date] < TODAY (), 1, 0 )
    ),
   [@calc]
) Return IF (
    ISINSCOPE ( Data[Project] ),
    FORMAT ( Result, "yyyy-mm-dd" ),
    Result2
)

Take care,
Mariusz

3 Likes

This is just perfect!! Thank you so much Enterprise DNA. If you don’t mind are you able to give me a brief explanation of the routine please?