Cumulative Total Giving Unexpected Results

Please see attached file for details, sheet “cumulative totals”.

I have a cumulative total calculation:

Cumulative Sales =
CALCULATE(
[Sales Total],
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED( ‘Dates’ ),
‘Dates’[Date] <= MAX( ‘Dates’[Date])
)
)

That works fine but when I run the same calculation on a different measure, unexpected results are returned

Cumulative Higher Sales =
CALCULATE(
[higher Sales],
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED( ‘Dates’ ),
‘Dates’[Date] <= MAX( ‘Dates’[Date])
)
)

Notice the image that the "cumulative higher sales column is incorrect on the 7/8/21

The column higher sales takes the higher of “sales total” and “sales LY”

But for some reason the “cumulative higher sales” column returns the exact same result as “cumulative sales”

The attached file is a dummy of a real problem that I have that’s a bit more complicated but hoping that the solution will translate easily enough.

Many thanks,
Tim
Mock Data PBI.pbix (959.7 KB)

Hello @Timmay,

Thank You for posting your query onto the Forum.

The reason why you’re getting the incorrect figure for “Cumulative Higher Sales” measure is because check the “Grand Total” of the “Higher Sales” measure which you’ve created. Although, the measure is providing correct results at an individual row level but the grand total result is incorrect i.e., it’s the same result as “Sales Total” measure.

And to fix the grand totals issue, you’ll be required to write a small measure as provided below -

Higher Sales - Correct Totals = 
SUMX(
    SUMMARIZE(
        Dates , 
        Dates[Date] , 
        "@Totals" , 
        [Higher Sales] ) , 
    [@Totals] )

And now, reference the above provided measure inside the “Cumulative Higher Sales” measure by replacing the “Higher Sales” measure.

Cumulative Higher Sales = 
CALCULATE( [Higher Sales - Correct Totals] ,
    FILTER( ALLSELECTED( 'Dates' ) ,
        'Dates'[Date] <= MAX( 'Dates'[Date] ) ) )

Below is the screenshot of the final results provided for the reference -

One of our expert @Greg had already created a post onto the forum pertaining to the topic - “How To Fix Incorrect Totals”. Below is the link of that post provided for the reference.

To learn more about why this problem occured and how to fix it, I’ve already provided solutions onto this topic onto the forum about how results are evaluated at the back-end, in the case of - “IF()” function or “SWITCH( TRUE() )” statement.

I’m also attaching the working of the PBIX file alongwith the links of those posts for the reference purposes.

Hoping you find this useful and meets your requirements that you’ve been looking for.

Thanks and Warm Regards,
Harsh

Mock Data PBI - Harsh.pbix (959.6 KB)

1 Like

That’s fantastic thanks Harsh.
As my actual problem was a bit more complex I ended up looking at one of the other posts and using the sumx - values and addcolumns to get the max of either amounts and then doing a cumulative total on that.

All solved in the end, thanks again.