Creating a Bookmark

Hello:

I’m participating in Challenge 15.

I’ve added a Line Chart that I’d like to use to display different types of data in the Line Chart. The type of data to be displayed will be controlled by buttons to display the appropriate type of data. Specifically, it one instance, I want to display Avg Lap Time, in another the % of Race Starters who finish the race, in the third the % of Laps Completed by All Drivers.

That is, same visual, displaying a different flavor of data.

My problem is as fundamental as it gets. I can’t add the Bookmarks for each data type to be displayed properly.

I display the report page with the Line Chart displaying the Avg Lap Time measure and Add the Bookmark.
I repeat after swapping out the measure for Avg Lap Time for the % of Laps Completed Measure, and Add the Bookmark.
I repeat after swapping out the measure for % of Laps Completed Measure for the % of Starters Who Finish Measure, and Add the Bookmark.

After doing, I click on each bookmark, but there’s no change in the Visual. I haven’t reached the point of wiring the Button to a bookmark.

I’ve watched several tutorials today discussing Bookmarks. It all seems so simple. I’ve reviewed th
Challenge 15 Work.pbix (5.7 MB)
e PBIX files of other Edna members, again it seems so easy.

Here are my PBIX and underlying data file.

As far as a mockup, all I want is for each bookmark to display the data as it related to the relevant measure.

Challenge 15 Work.pbix (5.7 MB)
Formula 1 Data.xlsx (22.8 MB)

Thank You.

John Giles

Before you send your question.
Make sure that all details relevant to your question is complete:

• Your current work-in-progress PBIX file - VERY IMPORTANT
  • A clear explanation of the problem you are experiencing
  • A mockup of the results you want to achieve
  • Your underlying data file

Check out this thread on Tools and Techniques for Providing PBIX Files with Your Forum Questions

Also make sure that your data file contains no confidential information. If it does, click the link above.

*** DELETE THIS MESSAGE IF YOU ARE SURE ALL YOUR DETAILS ARE COMPLETE OR IF THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS NOT APPLICABLE TO YOUR QUESTION.***

@JohnG

Hi John,

I’m relatively new to the forum, but I’ll give it a shot for you.

I like to think of bookmarks like a snap shot, that like a book, you can go back to and it will be the same.

Keeping that in mind, there are a number of options that I am still learning about, which allow you to customize the bookmarks for your liking.

These being:

Data
Display
Current Page
All visuals
Selected visuals

I see based on your Description (Dynamic selector) you can toggle through the various slicer selections to display your different measures.
If you are going to keep the checkbox “data” marked. It will always bring you back to your 7th measure. Avg Lap Time. If you remove it, the chart will remain on whichever selector is picked.

If you do not wish to see the other graphs while on first button, you can hide them in the selector panel. I like to rename the items in the selector panel so that they are easier to identify for layering and hiding.

Go to View and Open the Selection panel and Bookmarks panel.

Clicking on the various bookmarks, you can see how I’ve updated them to reflect the different charts.
If you click on the buttons, you can see how I set up the actions under format.

I’m not sure exactly what you wanted to do with the matrix of the top 3, so I just hide that visual.

Hope this helps a little.

eDNA Forum JohnG - Challenge 15 Work.pbix (5.7 MB)

Ian B

4 Likes

Hello Ian:

Thank you for the response.

I’ll implement your suggestions.

John Giles

1 Like