Choose Date field to be applied to Date slicer

Hi

I have a scenerio where I need to choose between 2 date feilds and applying the selected feild to the date slicer.

Attached is my sample pbix file , where CaseTable has 2 date feilds , created date and closed date. The user should be given an option to choose between the create date or closed date.All my other visuals in the report should return values based on that date.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could share any related videos , if you have demonstrated this scenerio earlier. If not please help me out.

Thanks TestCasePBI.pbix (66.1 KB) a lot in advance

Hi @Sim2312

The ideal scenario is that you should pull date slicer from date table only.

But if you’ll pull dates from your case table, the visuals would work against that but that’s a big no no for a good model.

Please refer to the below video that will give you better way around to work with your dates.

Hi @Sim2312, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since February 05, 2020. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!

Hi Ankit,

Thank you for your response. I used the SELECTEDVALUE function and used the IF in all of my measures to check which date was selected , and accordingly used the USERELATIONSHIP function to activate the inactive relationships if chosen by user to generate the expected results.

It was pretty straight froward.

Thank you so much for looking into this.

Appreciate your help.

1 Like

One thing that I’ve done in the past was have 2 separate pages in the report. One for created date, and one for closed date. When working with the reports myself, I understand that I need to ensure that only one slicer be active at a time for the dates, the other consumers of my report, without fail, would email me telling me the numbers are wrong. Heated debates would follow, managers would be dragged in, I’d end up with an apology email, all to be repeated next month.

Staff for new incoming volume, paid on closed volume.

Hi Mickey ,

That’s a good suggestion! But the users would like to see them all in on page that’s why I considered the above. I’m unsure if it’s going to work correctly and hence posted this question to see if there is a better way of doing it. They updated the requirements to include the transaction date as well.