Chart of Accounts with Sub Accounts and changing descriptions

I followed Sams Financial reporting course and it was a great intro to Power BI.

Now I want to attack a real world example in anger. Its for a firm of accountants.

Sams course used a Report Template and descriptions to trigger totals.

I have 2 problems and I am not sure how to approach it.

1. There is a chart of accounts, but some accounts will have sub accounts. e.g.

225 Leases
225/1 Short Term Short Term Leases
225/2 No Description
225/45 No Description, i.e. Blank / Null
226 Hire of Plant & Machinery

1. Chart of Account Descriptions can be overridden on a client basis.

So when their accounts are printed the priority for description is:

Client Specific if it exists
Extended if It exists e.g. Short Term Leases
Description e.g. Short Term

It doesn’t appear that I can rely on account description for summarising as I can’t be certain of the description that will come through.

I could try defining ranges, but its not clear to me how I handle the sub accounts.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Paul,

PS Give up is acceptable.

Hi @kellysolutions, we aim to consistently improve the topics being posted on the forum to help you in getting a strong solution faster. While waiting for a response, here are some tips so you can get the most out of the forum and other Enterprise DNA resources.

• Use the forum search to discover if your query has been asked before by another member.

• When posting a topic with formula make sure that it is correctly formatted to preformated text </>.

• Use the proper category that best describes your topic

• Provide as much context to a question as possible.

• Include demo pbix file, images of the entire scenario you are dealing with, screenshot of the data model, details of how you want to visualize a result, and any other supporting links and details.

I also suggest that you check the forum guideline https://forum.enterprisedna.co/t/how-to-use-the-enterprise-dna-support-forum/3951. Not adhering to it may sometimes cause delay in getting an answer.

Hi @kellysolutions, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since the 26th of September. We just want to check if you still need further help with this post? In case there won’t be any activity on it in the next few days, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved. If you have a follow question or concern related to this topic, please remove the Solution tag first by clicking the three dots beside Reply and then untick the checkbox. Thanks!