Builds 22 - Hotels Revenue Management

Hi Federico, This dashboard is really amazing. I am coming from a tableau background to power BI and at the moment am struggling with creating the same visual I did in tableau. I know it’s a big ask however the tableau community you can download workbooks however don’t see this option here as I like to reverse engineer as helps my learning. Could you share this with me so I can see how it is done. Kev

3 Likes

@Kevin_E

Hi Kevin,

I am flattered you like my report. Most visuals can be created in Power BI, with a little bit of help. You have Charticulator and Deneb for super custom visuals, see links below.

Another resources are custom visuals for Power BI, these can be load into your file within Power BI desktop but my personal choice is Visualisation tricks with Native Power BI Visuals.

Please see link to my report below - any questions please letm e know.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Federico Pastor

Federico Pastor_Challenge 22_Power BI File.pbix (2.5 MB)

https://charticulator.com/gallery/index.html

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps?product=power-bi-visuals

3 Likes

Thanks that really helps me just to see how a report is built. I check out the other resources as well. Really appreciate it as like to learn by reverser engineering. Can ask about the background do you make that up in powerpoint also how do you match the sizing. Thanks again.

1 Like

@Kevin_E

Kevin,

I use Adobe XD, everybody into Figma, so I go the other way :grinning: but very achivable in Power Point. Sizing is trial and error until you get it right for your purpose. It is a little problem with fixed backgrounds but more effective performance wise.

Regards,

Federico

2 Likes

I am learning a lot from the workbook so far still got loads to dig into. So far,

1. How to create folders in my Dax measure table, Love it.
  2. How to create LY stats and use divide.
  3. How to use cards for KPI and loads of formatting tips and tricks
  4. How to order months on the lollipop chart.
  5. How to create a Lollipop Chart

Also I see you put the revenue into the data source. I knew I had to use SUMX function however first I used a SUM(weekends + weekdays) think DAX would know the row context but that did work as must just take overall sum.

Then I was like ok

Test Revenue = 
SUMX('fct_Hotel Revenue', ('fct_Hotel Revenue'[Nights (Weekday)] + 'fct_Hotel Revenue'[Nights (Weekend)]) * 'fct_Hotel Revenue'[AVG Daily Rate])

Is this a case where be better adding a column to the data source? As need to create a few for food costs, number of guess etc.

Something That think be useful is a workbook with common chart types by use like deviation, correlation, change over time, ranking, distribution, part to whole, magnitude etc. Something like what the FT done. Anyway really had a lot of fun going to fully create the reports so understand what like to produce that way I can setup my own process. Thanks again

2 Likes

Hi everyone.
Here’s my submission for the Challenge 22: Hotel Revenue Management.

I used this as an opportunity to put together all of the things I’ve been learning over the last few months around report design and DAX. My idea was to create a report that is somewhat exploratory and the user can explore to find trends across business sections.

Always wanted to submit an entry for the challenges but seeing all the mind-blowing reports on every challenge, I most times won’t.

Kindly give your feedback. Thanks.

You can view the full report here.
Bolaji O. - eDNA Challenge 22

14 Likes

Terrific report @BolajiO :clap:

1 Like

This is great example of explanatory dashboard. I like the use of colour as you clear linking each metric. Easy to navigate and can imagine a manager of hotel would fined this useful and give them a clear understanding of their business. Well done. I save this for inspiration. Did you learn most of these techniques here on EDNA or other resources that you use as well to support your learning.

This is just a suggestion for EDNA as now you have a showcase however not all them make it to the portal. I think be great resource if every entry was available so that we can all learn from each other. Guess coming from a tableau background I could download any workbook and learn from it.

1 Like

Most of my main calculations regarding Revenue were made in Power Query - then just simple sum up in DAX.

Perhaps these 2 helps you regaridng charts.

ChartGuide-402-web.pdf (298.8 KB)

1 Like

@BolajiO

Excellent report, well done!!

Federico

1 Like

Thanks @Kevin_E

A lot of my learnings regarding Report Design and Visualisation, especially, has come from the platform via courses and inspiration from the amazing work by the community.

1 Like

Thanks @FPastor sorry for all the question but how are working out the actual discount column amount.

Sorry missed the discount segment precentage. just notice it now.

Really like the pop out menu is this done with bookmarks?

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Ayse Ayaz via email.

Here’s how Ayse Ayaz described it:

Hi Everybody I accepted Enterprise DNA Challenge - Hotel Revenue. I am glad I was able to join the Challenge. I hope you like it.

You can view the full report here
Ayse Ayaz

Please feel free to give Ayse Ayaz your feedback on his report.

1 Like

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Komal Bhatt via email.

Here’s how Komal Bhatt described it:

Had a go at analyzing this month’s Enterprise DNA Challenge 22 dataset - Hotel Revenue Management. There were a lot of possibilities with this one but decided to go with exploring some revenue growth strategies.

Komal Bhatt

Please feel free to give Komal Bhatt your feedback on her report.

7 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Vikram Aiyer via email.

Here’s how Vikram Aiyer described it:

The modeled data set was really very handy and useful with a great number of exploration points from which I used a fraction of it

Vikram Ayer

Please feel free to give Vikram Aiyer your feedback on his report.

2 Likes

Hi everyone
I just found a research article that used a very similar hotel management data set and they had a data dictionary that helps with understanding what the data and the columns. I’ve extracted them into an Excel file and also included the source.

Data Dictionary Sourced Online.xlsx (12.9 KB)
Source Article

@FPastor Maybe this could be added to the challenge dataset for future uses.

Regards.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Erika Lil via email.

Here’s how Erika Lil described it:

In my report I ended up using a lot of calculated columns to get some totals for different categories, like revenue, reservations etc. I also heavily used the grouping function to make the data more easily filterable for the end user.

Erika Lil

Please feel free to give Erika Lil your feedback on her report.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted byJerson Arreculea via email.

Here’s how Jerson Arreculea described it:

This is my first entry in an EDNA Challenge. I hope you like it, and any criticism or constructive comment will always be well received."

Jerson Arreculea

Please feel free to give Jerson Arreculea your feedback on her report.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Darpan Sahai via email.

Here’s how Darpan Sahai described it:

I prepared four pages in this report which contain Top Line Report, Customers Page, Agents Page, and a drill-through page known as the Agent Details page which shows the details of every individual agent

Darpan Sahai

Please feel free to give Darpan Sahai your feedback on her report.

2 Likes