Builds 19 - Call Centres Data Reporting

Cool topic. I’d try to participate.
@FPastor , I wonder if it’s fine to submit an entry before the updates are released or is it better to wait until all the information is in place?

3 Likes

@alexbadiu Thank you - the idea is to simulate, as much as possible, real work scenarios and this one is the most habitual. You begin a new project with an idea in mind and end with a different one…

Federico

3 Likes

@StaceyL Thank you, I know sometimes is difficult to find the time for these extra curriculum activities. As we were told in school, extra curriculum activities are very important and help with your learning experience. Happy if you try your best to participate :+1:.

The report must present all the information required by the brief…we can not go back to an employer with an incomplete report. Thus I suggest waiting until all the information is in place. You can start building your report and be prepared for some adjustments.

On the other hand, I do encourage in time to time screenshots of the progress on your report if you want to share it.

I hope this clarifies,

Federico Pastor

6 Likes

Time to be bold and showcase. Gotta give this one a try! Even a simple one just to loose the fear and get started. Here we go!

7 Likes

@Josimar_Biosse don’t underestimate the power of simplicity :smiley: “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” ~ Leonardo Da Vinci.

Come on and join us!!!

Federico

6 Likes

Hi Federico,

Please see below feedback received from a participant

I downloaded it and within an hour I was able to see that the scale is way off. Like 20-30X off. For that call volume, a company would only need 3-5 Employees in 1 Center, not 90 with 12 managers in 3 Centers. They are only taking an avg of 1.5 calls/day/ee for 12 minutes each. This makes making a sensible analysis and recommendations to management much more difficult.

The other thing is that the data is far too “flat”: there is very little variation by Employee for productivity, avg call time, % abandoned, avg wait time - so you can’t gain many insights. A visualization with everyone “nearly equal” or in a very tight range, is not very informative. Also there is no meaningful seasonality to the time dimension, and the sales/tech support/billing call mix % is nearly identical in all contexts. I didn’t put cost $ to this per se, but back of the envelope indicates it’s costing about $100/call which should be more like $3-$5.

If the idea is to get newer analysts involved and interested, having weak/flat visualizations and filters could be a negative instead of a positive - a smart analyst would say, “why bother?” when there is so little insight to be gained.

Is it too late to change the data? Thanks

3 Likes

@KimC,

Thank you Kim.

The role of a data analyst is to analyze the data brought forward to him/her. Skilled analysts are excellent at exploring data quickly and transforming it into meaningful, data-driven recommendations. There is a small catch no matter how smart the data analyst is, his/her skills does not guarantee impact. We should remain constantly about this fact otherwise we will tend to distort the facts and start blurring into meaning that it is not in the data.

The brief also makes indication about further data to be added, this may be the changes the participant is looking for, I can’t guarantee this will produce the effect wanted.

The dataset, in its current state, presents a great opportunity to use different transformations to enhance the dataset and ultimately present what the data brings to the table.

I hope this clarifies,

Federico

7 Likes

@FPastor
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” ~ Leonardo Da Vinci.
I have this quote on my computer monitor as a constant reminder. It is easy to make a system complex, it is quite complex to make something look and act simply.

6 Likes

@jgriffit I could not agree with you more!!! I live by this motto.

Thanks

Federico

2 Likes

@FPastor, is it possible to confirm the desired outcome of this action? Should we just ignore abondoned calls’ status or should we delete all the abandoned calls?

3 Likes

It came out as a surprise for me that the abandoned calls’ ‘call duration’ time is not zero. I also was wondering isn’t the data too flat.

2 Likes

@StaceyL Thanks for your questions.

The Brief indicates to delete the column “Call Abandoned” and substitute with a new Colum called “SLA Compliance” - definition in the brief.

Your role in the Challenge is to analyse the data provided.

I hope this clarifies.

Federico Pastor

3 Likes

@StaceyL

When working on a project, I don’t normally question the flatness of the dataset provided by a client, I just analyse it and present my findings (if any) to the client in the best possible way.

Still, there is more data to come, it may/may not make less flat but this is the dataset to be analysed.

Regards,

Federico

3 Likes

Hi @FPastor . Very good to have a Data Dictionary. It makes things quicker and simpler. Thanx

3 Likes

@Josimar_Biosse

Thanks, all our challenges from now on will be accompanied by a data dictionary and any other indication, as necessary, to ensure the Challenge Brief is self-explanatory. At the same time, please feel free to ask as many questions as you want to ( 3 Max per Challenge :sunglasses: )

Regards,

Federico

3 Likes

@Josimar_Biosse ,

Way to go, my friend! That first step is the hardest.

So now, just do your best, be open to input and learning, and most of all just have FUN.

• Brian
5 Likes

Hi , I’m a EDNA member from past 3 months. I have been closely following up with the challenges, but never participated (even though I participate in other challenges in LinkedIn). After seeing the reports created by many talented EDNA members, I use to be little scared that my report might be far less competitive in comparison. I have just started learning Power BI. I use to follow @FPastor in LinkedIn and after seeing him becoming head of challenges in EDNA, I have decided to give it a go. Hope, I could present some useful insights on the dataset provided. Cheers !

13 Likes

@Sri_Giriraj ,

Great to see you as EDNA Member, please go ahead and give it a go. Any questions or doubts, do not hesitate to ask and make sure you read “The Challenge Brief” well.

Thanks

Federico

3 Likes

Great to hear you are planning on getting involved @Sri_Giriraj

No need to be scared, everyone in this community is really friendly and constructive!

DJ

7 Likes

@Sri_Giriraj just go for it!!

6 Likes