Power BI Challenge 14 - Emergency Services Analytics

Very good data governance, well done!

3 Likes

I like this submission very much, especially since it’s your first.

1. The colors are pleasant and complementary.
  2. I’m impressed by the use of several types of visuals on the same page, especially the Heat Maps.
  3. I like the Performance vs. Target donut charts.
  4. In general, each page is well-organized and neat.

John Giles

6 Likes

Thank you very much John for your kind words.

It has taken me some time to gather the bravery to participate in an EDNA Challenge, I felt way out of the level needed.

So your words and how this report has been welcome by other members is quite inspiring.

F Pastor

3 Likes

You’re welcome, Federico.

Your bravery was well-rewarded.

John Giles

1 Like

I’ll try to not get all slobbery here, but it won’t be easy. This is fantastic. You earned your vacation.

There’s so much to be impressed by, but I’m really wowed by the analytical breakdown of the key components of the emergency services delivery process.

Also;

1. Home Page Background
  2. Analytical Insights and Structure - Call Volume, Time Analysis, Patient Analysis
  3. Filter Panel
  4. Tooltip on the Ambulance Station vs. Hospital Matrix
  5. Patient Timeline

There’s so much to aspire to here where ‘aspire to’ implies deconstruct and lift.

Regards,

John Giles

2 Likes

@FPastor ,

I totally understand that hesitancy, but would just like to use your example to encourage everyone, regardless of your Power BI experience and skill level to participate in these Challenges. The Enterprise DNA forum community is one of the most supportive and encouraging I’ve ever encountered, and even if you are a beginner and submit a very basic report I guarantee it will be warmly received, you will enjoy the community experience of participating in these Challenges, and you will learn a ton and rapidly improve with every submission.

I have sponsored the “newcomer prize” for first time entrants for the past year expressely to encourage new folks to jump in and join the EDNA Data Challenges, since I believe they are the single best way to improve your Power BI skills that exists anywhere.

Remember that we all started as beginners, and that if you go back to the early submissions of our Challenge superstars like @MudassirAli and @alexbadiu , you will see a major evolution from those entries to the reports they are producing now. Personally, there’s nothing I enjoy more in these Challenges than watching the progress and growth of entrants over time.

Finally, if you are still hesitant to jump in and participate in the Challenges, consider participating in the Power BI Accelerator series, which is focused on expert-led skills development exercises that will give you a great foundation for participation in the Challenges. Week 2 is ongoing now, and you don’t have to have done Week 1 to participate.

OK, stepping down off my soapbox… :grinning:

• Brian
5 Likes

Thanks Brian,

F Pastor

2 Likes

Hello Alex;

So much data presented in such a concise fashion.

A couple of questions;

1. What is a ‘switch’ measure; I tried to investigate on my own, but can’t find an answer.
  2. I know very little about emergency services. But the Benchmark page, you offer metric for Hospitals. For some of the metrics, avg trip to patient, avg time to depart, for example, does the Hospital have a bearing upon the metric and performance/- this is a question mark, really.

Regards,

John Giles

1 Like

Hello JPS

I like your use of the two hour segments to examine performance data.

Also, the chart to compare time versus protocol is very interesting.

Regards,

John Giles

2 Likes

Hello Jarrett;

[I don’t have use of my SHIFT key, so my grammar may be awkward, as in no parentheses]

1. How do you rate your Charticlator exerience

2. How long did it take to add the Charticulator visuals. I like the data cards with the line charts.

Regards,

John Giles

1 Like

Hello @JohnG!
Thank you for your feedback and questions.
The switch measure is a technique I used in my report that consists on creating a table in the model that is afterwards related to Dax measures (main kpis) through a “switch measure”. This allows the user to select the KPIs they are interested to follow. The user is more engaged as the report becomes more dynamic and in the same time I am sure the user does not see to much information at once. (Avoid info overload).
In which concerns the second point, I am glad you asked this question. I am by no means experienced in hospital/ emergency service dashboards so I do not have any idea if my decision was good or not. But I will tell you my thought process. At first glance “avg trip to patient” and “avg time to depart” are not related to the performance of the hospital. I was decided not to show these metrics. Than I thought that maybe the performance of the emergency service act should not be siloed. I also thought of the purpose of the reports in general. In my opinion, a report should not only provide insights but also help ask new questions. Maybe the key to the performance overall in this use case is the process… or maybe not. Data is too anonymised to be certain. There you go. I hope it answers your questions :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello DeltaSelect;

1. I liked the stacked column chart on the first page. I wish I’d thought of it. It’s good information to present as part of KPI’s, one man’s opinion.

2. Credit to you for taking a swing at the anomaly analysis, especially the user selected threshhold.

3. One suggestion - On the Anomaly Analysis page, provide users with the ability to select a date to automatically view the anomalies that you display on the Detail Analysis page.

Regards,

John Giles

1 Like

Hello Alex;

I like your answer to my second question, regarding the Hospital Benchmark; especially the ‘data siloing’ and ‘asking new questions’ remarks.

Essentially, the analytical question I wrestled with during the challenge was that of responsibility. Does the Dispatcher bear responsibility for performance once the ambulance has departed, can the hospital be responsible for delays prior to arrival at the hospital. Perhaps, they do; again what I know about the delivery of emergency services would echo in a thimble.

I was looking for a means to tie the entire provess together, but failed.

From what I’ve seen so far ‘tweinzapfel’ comes closest to this goal.

Hoping you enjoyed Bastille Day.

Regards,

John Giles

2 Likes

DavieJo;

This doesn’t look like a first submission to me. Professional job here.

Things I like;

1. Terrific color selection. I’ve made this remark several times today, but pleasant and complementary colors are important.

2. The toggle between Call View / AHT View.

3. The segregation of data presentation among Calls, Stations and Hospitals.

4. The consistent appearance and feel of those three pages.

5. Very impressed by the creative use of Multi Threaded Visuals on the Stations page.

Perhaps, I missed it, but no means of changing the Time Frame.

All things considered, you went far beyond doing yourself proud.

Regards,

John Giles

2 Likes

Hi @JohnG,
thanks for the feedback.
I (still) struggle(d) with the question: what would be valuable information.
Kind regards, JW

Hey @JohnG thanks for the kind words & feedback. This was my first submission for any sort of challenge, I guess I put a fair bit of time into setting up my theme, layout & colours. Took the yellow & pink directly from @MudassirAli Challenge 10 submission, they really stand out from a dark background.

With regards to changing the time frame, @MudassirAli said something on a video along the lines of “using the visuals to slice the data and not actual slicers themselves”. Each page has either a visual that has a monthly axis or daily axis so you slice the data by using them.

Hope this makes sense.

David

Your reply on the Date Slicer makes sense.

1 Like

Then that’s the first time today I’ve made sense to anybody :joy:

Great chatting JohnG :+1:t2:

1 Like

@JohnG ,

Thanks for you questions. I’ve been using Charticulator for quite some time now. The KPI cards tools hours to put together, due to the amount of measures that are needed to make it look like it does. The Heatmap took about 20-30 minutes, and the 2 Rose Bar Charts on the 1st page took about 10-15 mins. Charticulator is not something I would recommend to a beginner, but for those that are already very familiar with the native visuals in Power BI, definitely need to give it a shot. The PBIX files should be posted in a couple of weeks, so make sure you have a look when it becomes available.

Thanks
Jarrett

3 Likes

Hello MehdiH

I really like the ‘Average Intervention Time’ page, especially the use of percentages, and the ability to filter it by Hospital, Dispatcher, etc.

Regards,

John Giles

2 Likes