Challenge 12 - Problem with Dates Table to Fact Table Relationship

Hello:

I’ve been trying to develop a set of PBI reports using Challenge 12.

I cannot use my relationship from the Dates table to my Fact table. When I setup a visual, a simple Line Chart, it fails showing only a dot.

Here’s some background. After reviewing the data in the excel file for the challenge, I decided to embellish some columns. There were blanks in some columns, 0’s in some of the financial data columns. I know I changed some of the dates in the date columns and added dates where there were blanks.

However, when I imported and transformed the data in Power Query, I profiled all columns, there were no errors.

I know the Dates table is good. I used for Challenge 14 without a problem.

I’ve checked the relationships via Data Modelling, it’s in place, it’s one to many, and the arrow flows from the Dates table to the fact table.

I’ve been trying to figure this out for a day and a half. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

I’ve stripped out all of the dimension tables, so all I have are the Dates Table, the Shipping Details fact table, and a simple measure.

The PBIX is attached.

Regards,

Edna Challenge 12.pbix (670.7 KB)

It has got me stumped to.

Hi @JohnG,

So I marked your Dates table as a Date table, checked key column data types and profile, nothing strange there. Checked your file settings and deactivated Auto date/time. Reloaded the Dates table and recreated the relationship to the fact table. All to no avail :pensive:

Think your file might be corrupted some how… I exported your data (because you didn’t supply the source file) and rebuilt your model without any issue.

Here are the files:
Shipment Profile.csv (92.2 KB)
Edna Challenge 12 new.pbix (135.0 KB)

I hope this is helpful.

@Melissa ,

You beat me to the writeup, but I followed the exact same steps to the same conclusion. I initially thought the “Added” column might have some trailing spaces that were preventing the relationship from working properly w/o trimming, but that field showed up properly as a date field prior to export, and had it had the extra spaces, I think it would have flipped to a text field.

Culprit: gremlins…

• Brian

Melissa, Kim and Brian:

First, thank you for investing the time in my request. I appreciate it.

As aggravating as this problem is, it’s a relief to know that the three of you didn’t find a godawful simple error on my part.

I spent considerable time fleshing out the excel file that accompanied the challenge. I’d hoped to produce a set of reports using better visuals, colors and navigation than I used for Challenge 14.

For now, maybe back to the beginning on Challenge 12, or move on to Challenge 11.

Thanks, again.

John Giles

1 Like

Melissa:

Thank you for exporting and rebuilding my model successfully.

John Giles

This post is part of the Enterprise DNA platform improvements. Through these posts, members and non-members can showcase the resources and inspirations on how they come up with their challenge submissions. We hope all members can utilize it efficiently.