Builds 23 "Health & Substance Abuse Report Analysis"

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Philip Giroux via email.

Here’s how Philip Giroux described it:

This is for Challenge 23 “Health-Substance Abuse Data Analysis” of Enterprise DNA Challenge. The analysis approach taken was to see if there were any correlation between psychiatric admissions and test scores, or medical condition, or substance abused

You can view the full report here
Philip Giroux

Please feel free to give your feedback on his report

1 Like

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Oscar Perez via email.

Here’s how Oscar Perez described it:

“This is for Challenge 23 “Health-Substance Abuse Data Analysis” of Enterprise DNA Challenge .This is my first entry in an EDNA Challenge, I really liked the dataset. I hope you like it.”

Oscar Perez

1 Like

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Muhammd Umair Shahid via email.

Here’s how Muhammd Umair Shahid described it:

This is for Challenge 23 “Health-Substance Abuse Data Analysis” of Enterprise DNA Challenge . I really enjoyed working with this dataset. I hope you like it.

Muhammd Umair Shahid

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Zuzanna Jakubiak via email.

Here’s how Zuzanna Jakubiak described it:

“This is for Challenge 23 “Health-Substance Abuse Data Analysis” of Enterprise DNA Challenge. This is my first time participating. I really enjoyed working with this dataset. I hope you like it.”

Zuzanna Jakubiak

3 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Bilal Raza via email.

Here’s how Bilal Raza described it:

This is my first time participating . I really enjoyed working with this dataset. I hope you like it

Zuzanna Jakubiak

2 Likes

Hi Sam,
Could you add the video link please.
Thanks.
Remi

1 Like

@Remi10

Hi Remi, what video link are you refering to?

Regards,

Federico Pastor

1 Like

Hi Frederico,

His live session on the Power Platform Innovation Lab for the challenge 23.

Thanks.

Remi

2 Likes

@Remi10

Hi Remi,

Here you go.

https://app.enterprisedna.co/app/virtual-events/172?chapter=1&item=374

I hope this helps.

Federico

2 Likes

Here’s my submission to the eDNA challenge 23 using Deneb for all visuals and implementing dark mode and light mode.
eDNA Challenge 23 - Substance Abuse - Greg Philps

Special thanks to @MudassirAli helped greatly to create and simplify the PowerPoint backgrounds.

Here are the notes I kept during development:

Goals:

• to investigate and produce a 1-page Power BI report in light mode and dark mode
    to use Deneb/Vega-Lite for all visuals
    to minimize the “normal” Power BI work (data loading and transformations, data modelling, DAX calculations)

Setup:

• started with a clean, empty PBIX file (no template or theme)
  • disabled “Auto date/time” option
  • disabled “Auto detect relationships” option (both “Import relationships from data sources on first load” and “Autodetect new relationships after data is loaded”)
  • enabled “Change default visual interaction from cross highlighting to cross filtering”
  • changed screen size to 2100 x 1200 (not exactly 16x9, but close)

Data Loading:

General:

• created a [Blank Query] and used the supplied [Calendar Table_Version August 2022] text file to create a [fxDatesQuery] function; moved to [Parameters and Functions] group
  • used the [fxDatesQuery] function to create a [Dates] table for 2022-01-02 to 2022-12-31 (full year)
    marked [Dates] table as a dates table
  • used [Metadata Mechanic Pro] external tool to set summarization of all columns in [Dates] table to “None”
  • chose only select columns from the [Dates] table
  • set Dates[Date] format to “dd-mmm-yyyy”
  • loaded [Substance Abuse Programme] Excel sheet; moved to [Staging Queries] group; renamed as [RAW Substance Abuse Programme]; disabled load

Dimension tables:

• created reference of [RAW Substance Abuse Programme] as [Ethnicity]
    • kept only [RaceEthnicity] column, removed other columns, removed duplicates
    • if [RaceEthnicity] = “Hispanic” then “Hispanic” else if [RaceEthnicity] = “NativeAm” then “Indigenous” else “Other”
    • added index from 1 as [Ethnicity Key]
  • created reference of [RAW Substance Abuse Programme] as [Race]
    • kept only [RaceEthnicity] column, removed other columns, removed duplicates
    • added column for [Race] using simple PQ formula
    • if [RaceEthnicity] = “NonHispBlack” then “Black” else if [RaceEthnicity] = “NonHispWhite” then “White” else “Other”
    • added index from 1 as [Race Key]
  • created reference of [RAW Substance Abuse Programme] as [Gender]
    • kept only [Gender] column, renamed to [Gender Code], removed other columns, removed duplicates, added custom column [Gender] to hold gender name
  • created reference of [RAW Substance Abuse Programme] as [Program]
    • kept only [Program] column, removed other columns, removed duplicates, added index from 1 as [Program Key]
  • created reference of [RAW Substance Abuse Programme] as [Mental Health Diagnosis]
    • kept only [MHDx] column, renamed as [Mental Health Diagnosis], removed other columns, removed duplicates, added index from 1 as [MHDx Key]
  • created reference of [RAW Substance Abuse Programme] as [Substance Abuse Diagnosis]
    • kept only [SUDx] column, renamed as [Substance Abuse Diagnosis], removed other columns, removed duplicates, added index from 1 as [SUDx Key]

Fact table:

• created reference of [RAW Substance Abuse Programme] as [Patient Data]
    duplicated [RaceEthnicity] column as [RaceEthnicity2] (as will need separate relationships for [Race] and [Ethnicity])
  • renamed [MedDx] column to [Number of Medical Conditions]
  • renamed [PsychAdmit] column to [Psychiatric Hospital Admissions]
  • merged with [Ethnicity], kept only [Ethnicity Key] column; removed ‘Patient Data’[RaceEthnicity] column
  • merged with [Race], kept only [Race Key] column; removed ‘Patient Data’[RaceEthnicity2] column
  • merged with [Gender], kept only [Gender Key] column; removed ‘Patient Data’[Gender] column
  • merged with [Program], kept only [Program Key] column; removed ‘Patient Data’[Program] column
  • merged with [Mental Health Diagnosis], kept only [MHDx Key] column; removed ‘Patient Data’[MHDx] column
  • merged with [Substance Abuse Diagnosis], kept only [SUDx Key] column; removed ‘Patient Data’[SUDx] column

Measures tables:

• created a [Key Measures] table using “Enter Data” in Power BI
  • created [m1=1] placeholder measure; deleted [Column1]

Supporting tables:

• created a [Modes] table using “Enter Data” in Power BI (light, dark)
  • created a [Metrics] table using “Enter Data” in Power BI (1-8)
  • created a calculated column to assign metric names (patients, females, males, anxiety diagnosis, depression diagnosis, alcohol diagnosis, opioid diagnosis, stimulant diagnosis)
  • created a calculated column to assign metric values (from measures)
  • created a [Last Refresh] table to capture data refresh date and time

Data Modelling:

• arranged tables in waterfall layout (dimensions on top, fact below, measures at right, supporting tables at bottom-left)
  • used the [Manage Relationships] dialog to create a 1-to-many relationship between Dates[Date] dimension table column and ‘Patient Data’[Admission Date] fact table column
  • used the [Manage Relationships] dialog to create 1-to-many relationships between dimension tables and fact table
  • used the [Properties \ Advanced \ Summarize by] drop-down to set the summarization of all columns to “None”
  • used the [Fields] pane to hide all “Key” columns
  • used the [Fields] pane to hide the “Age Group ID”, “Min”, and “Max” columns in the [Age Groups] table
  • used the [Fields] pane to hide the Ethnicity[RaceEthnicity] and Race[RaceEthnicity] columns

DAX Calculations:

• created simple measures for patients, females, males, interventions, alcohol abuse, opioid abuse, stimulant abuse, anxiety diagnosis, depression diagnosis
  • created simple measures for report administration info (e.g., ID, version, version date, etc.)
  • created simple measures for mode (light, dark), text colour, shadow colour

Visualizations:
General:

• chose Pantone Color of the Year 2020 (dark blue, HEX #0F4C81) as a base colour
  • created [Text Colour] measure to return the HEX code for white if dark mode, darkest blue if light mode
Text Color = 
IF( [Mode] = "Dark", "#FFFFFF", "#051B2E" )

Backgrounds:

• used #0F4C81 in Enterprise DNA Analyst Hub \ Colour Theme Generator \ Colours Fan to generate 10-colour HEX codes; copied and pasted 8 darkest colours into a JSON theme file and set the Power BI file to this colour theme
  • used PowerPoint to create light and dark backgrounds (light white, dark using darkest blue in colour theme)
  • set size of PowerPoint slides to 2100 px by 1200 px
  • on light slide inserted centered rounded rectangle and set shadow to lower-right; duplicated rounded rectangle and set shadow to upper-left; overlapped rectangles; set colour to white and shadow to darkest blue
  • on dark slide inserted centered rounded rectangle and set shadow to lower-right; duplicated rounded rectangle and set shadow to upper-left; overlapped rectangles; set colour to darkest blue in colour theme and shadow to white
  • used PowerPoint to create 2 images for light mode and dark mode; set colour of dark mode (crescent moon) icon to darkest blue; set line colour of light mode (sun) icon to white and fill colour to darkest blue; used image actions for simple navigation between light and dark pages
  • used rectangle shape for title in top-left (using [Text Colour] measure for font colour; vertical top alignment; padding 4px top, 4px right, 4px bottom, 10px left)
  • used rectangle shape for admin info in lower-left (using [Text Colour] measure for font colour; horizontal alignment left, vertical alignment bottom; padding 4px top, 4px right, 4px bottom, 6px left)
  • used rectangle shape for last refresh in lower-right (using [Text Colour] measure for font colour; horizontal alignment right, vertical alignment bottom; padding 4px top, 6px right, 4px bottom, 4px left)
  • used 2 images (1 per page) to allow navigation between light mode and dark mode pages; turned off tooltips

Deneb Visuals:

General:

• used as much parameterization as possible to ease development and improve consistency
    although not a “true” light mode/dark mode rendering, only 1 small change was required after cut-and-paste to dark mode page: set [_mode] parameter to “dark”

Patient Metrics:

• layered specifications (3) for the background of the “card” (a bar chart of fixed size with gradient colours and rounded corners, the metric name (text mark), and the metric value (text mark)

Patient Interventions:

• layered specifications (4) for the background of the “donut” (100% arc mark), the percent arc with gradient colours and rounded cornders, the percent value (text mark), and the program name (text mark)

Patient Pyramid by Gender:

• horizontally concatenation of 3 views: bar mark specification in negative direction for female, text mark specification for common y-axis scale, bar mark specification for male

Patient Characteristic Breakdown:

• used a “repeat” view composition to produce “full multiples” column charts (a full breakdown of the dataset for each of 4 different characteristics: ethnicity, race, program, substance abused)

Patient Admissions by Program:

• used a standard line chart but added “basis” interpolate property for smoothing
    added detection of mouse hover to display in full colour the line currently being “hovered-over” while greying-out the remaining line
  • added layered circle mark and text mark for endpoint designation

Link to online report:

10 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Azmir Murad via email.

Here’s how Azmir Murad described it:

“This is my first time participating . I really enjoyed working with this dataset. I hope you like it.

Azmir Murad

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Narcis Chesnoiu via email.

Here’s how Narcis Chesnoiudescribed it:

“This is my first time participating . I really enjoyed working with this dataset. I hope you like it.

Narcis Chesnoiu

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Zbigniew Porzych via email.

Here’s how Zbigniew Porzych described it:

Zbigniew Porzych

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Shubham Patil via email.

Here’s how Shubham Patil described it:

This is my first time participating . I really enjoyed working with this dataset. I hope you like it, and I would appreciate any remark or correction.

Shubham Patil

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Angela Drucioc via email.

Here’s how Angela Drucioc described it:

“This is one of my first’s experiences in Power BI and the first challenge as well.​

Some weeks ago, I was looking for inspirations and I found some amazing dashboards by Enterprise DNA. This is how I found this challenge. I hope you like it.”

Angela Druciocv

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Udochukwu Okoye via email.

Here’s how Udochukwu Okoye described it:

“This is one of my first’s experiences in Power BI and the first challenge as well.​
This is one of my first’s experiences in Power BI and the first challenge as well. I found the dataset very intriguing. I hope you like it

Udochukwu Okoye

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Pankaj Namekar via email.

Here’s how Pankaj Namekar described it:

This is my entry for Enterprise DNA Challenge 23. I found the dataset very interesting. I hope you like it

Pankaj Namekar

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Sathish Kumar via email.

Here’s how Sathish Kumar described it:

This is my entry for Enterprise DNA Challenge 23. I found the dataset very interesting and liked to work on it. Please provide me with feedback if you wish. I hope you like it

Sathish Kumar

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Ali Nasri via email.

Here’s how Ali Nasri described it:

“This is my first entry for an Enterprise DNA Challenge. I found the dataset very interesting and liked to work on it. I hope you like it.”

Ali Nasri

2 Likes

Hi everyone, this is an entry submitted by Adediwura Joseph Adelabu via email.

Here’s how Adediwura Joseph Adelabu described it:

“This is my first entry for an Enterprise DNA Challenge. I found the dataset very interesting. I hope you like it.”

Adediwura Joseph Adelabu

2 Likes