Announcing a New Enterprise DNA Initiative - Power BI Accelerator

Interesting, but what does this all mean?

One of the things we’ve learned, both through research and experience, is that while you can learn a lot by watching videos and reading blog posts, progress is dramatically accelerated when it’s combined with an active element of structured practice.

Power BI Accelerator will be a twice monthly, active problem-solving exercise designed by Enterprise DNA Experts for Power BI beginners. The problems will be based on real-world, practical scenarios, and will parallel the learning topics in EDNA’s “Ultimate Beginners Guide” training series.

I’m pretty busy – will this take a lot of time?

No. We will design the problems with the goal of each one taking less than an hour.

OK, great. But I’m just starting with Power BI – what if I need help?

This initiative will have its own “channel” on the Enterprise DNA Forum, where you can ask questions and get help day and night, 7 days a week from the EDNA Expert and Power User teams. We have a special “spoiler alert” function, where we can answer questions on the forum, but blur the information so that those who are working on the problem and don’t want to see any hints, explanations, etc. won’t see them.

How will I know if my solution is correct?

Each biweekly cycle of Power BI Accelerator will conclude with a live teaching session and Q&A, where the expert leading that cycle will walk through the solution to that problem, and answer any questions from the attendees about that problem and/or the general concepts it covers.

We will record all of the teaching/Q&A sessions and make them available in the learning portal and on the forum.

Can both members and non-members participate?

Yes and no. The biweekly problems and solution videos will be available on the Enterprise DNA forum, which is accessible by everyone. However, only members can post in the forum, so the expert assistance will be available only to them. In addition, at least initially, only members will be able to participate in the live learning session and Q&A.

This initiative sounds similar to the ongoing Problem of the Week series. Will that continue?

Again, yes and no. We’ve loved doing the Problem of the Week series, but have found that the advanced nature of the problems appealed mainly to the Experts, Power Users and a small group of loyal participants (a number of whom became Experts and Power Users…). Given that members at that level already have ample opportunities to challenge themselves and grow their skills (e.g., participating in the monthly Data Challenges, providing solutions on the forum, etc.), we wanted to realign the use of our Expert time to benefit the maximum number of members. Our analytics show that a large segment of our membership is early in their Power BI journey and we think would benefit greatly from this focused attention and structured practice.

That being said, we still likely will be running occasional Problem of the Week cycles for more advanced users.

I’m in! – when do the Power BI Accelerator sessions start?

The first problem will be released Wednesday, June 23, 2021 . Keep an eye on the forum, the weekly Enterprise DNA email and the Enterprise DNA YouTube channel.

We want to make this initiative as beneficial for you as possible, and would love to hear your feedback. You can post your thoughts and suggestions under the Power BI Accelerator topic on the forum, or send your input directly to me at brian.julius@enterprisedna.co.

See you then!

• Brian
6 Likes

Sounds great, will do my best and take part when possible.

David

2 Likes

This sounds great… I’m In :star_struck: :+1:

1 Like

@quantumudit ,

As always, love your enthusiasm and willingness to participate. However, as an EDNA Power User, I think you’re a bit outside the target audience for this initiative. :laughing:

Let’s talk separately about how we could use your skills to help support this effort. I’ll be in touch…

• Brian
2 Likes

All,

One thing I did forget to mention in my initial message above is that I’m looking for a couple of volunteer beta testers to do the problems ahead of their release, and provide feedback to us as to whether they are the appropriate level of difficulty, how much time they took you to complete, what issues you ran into in developing your solution, etc.

We would also look to use you as sort of an informal advisory group on the types of issues that as beginners you are wrestling with and would like to see us focus on in these sessions.

If you would characterize yourself as a Power BI beginner, and would be interested in participating with me and others on the expert team on this initiative, please shoot me an email at brian.julius@enterprisedna.co.

Thanks!

• Brian
3 Likes

Yeah, sounds great :smiley:

1 Like

Looks great. Nice one Brian!

3 Likes

Great initiative, I am really looking forward to this and is perfect timing for me.

4 Likes

This post is part of the Enterprise DNA platform initiative to provide information on Power BI Accelerator.

To ask any questions on the content covered in this category please start a new topic within the forum. You may check this how-to guide for reference - How To Use The Enterprise DNA Support Forum

1 Like

Love this, as a new user on the platform I am keen to get my hands dirty with some practical challenges that appeal to beginner/intermediate user.

2 Likes

@Adelin ,

Welcome! I think you’ll find this to be a wonderfully helpful and friendly community. Tons of incredibly talented folks here, with a wide range of expertise and interests. I saw your writeup in the “Introduce Yourself” thread – good luck with your new venture! We’re always here to help if you need it, we also really encourage folks to share their expertise in responding to others’ questions as you feel comfortable doing so.

Great to have you aboard.

• Brian
2 Likes

All,

For fans of the old Problem of the Week, @AntrikshSharma has posted a really interesting DAX problem that should be right up your alley:

• Brian
2 Likes