Add a Constant Line that is not date related to a visual

I have a visual that shows monetary and percentage values over a selected number of years 2017 - 2021 although the data in my model can go back to 2012 e.g.

Turnover £ 1, 000.000
Gross Profit £ 600,000
Gross Profit Percentage, 60%

I show these values on a line chart using main and secondary values. The % is the secondary value.

The model is being used by a firm of accountants to allow them to do reviews with their clients. One day they could be speaking to a manufacturer, the next a hairdresser.

I now want to introduce a constant line or industry comparative. This would be the industry average Gross Profit Percentage.

I use a parameter to capture the value and then create a measure.

I now add the measure to the secondary value line. As I do not have any dates against the Industry GP Percentage, the chart now extends to cover all of the years that I am not reviewing.

I assume I have to introduce some sort of date restriction, or create a table for the constant value with a row per year.

Any ideas?

@kellysolutions ,

WIthout a PBIX file or a mockup of exactly what you’re trying to achieve, I’m having a difficult time visualizing the scenario. However, I think since the August release finally allowed us to tie reference lines to measures and parameters, I think what you’re attempting should be doable.

See if this video helps. If not, I’d be glad to work this one if you could please provide your PBIX work-in-progress and a sketch/mockup of your desired end state.

Thanks.

• Brian
1 Like

Hi Brian,

Thank you for getting back to me so promptly. I have never shared a PBIX before. Some of my data contains some personally identifiable information. Is there a way that I can obfuscate that before I send it to you?

I have attached 3 Screenshots that will hopefully illustrate the problem.

1. This is how the user selects the years they want. As you can there can be quite a few. (1).

2. I read somewhere that I cannot use the parameter directly, so I created a measure that I can use. (2).

3. This is how the constant displays. Rather than the line chart just showing the years selected, it shows for every year. I assume that is because the constant is not bound by date. (3).

4. (4) shows the same graph with the Constant removed.

Thank you again Brian,

Paul

(3) Issue  - Fields

1 Like

@Paul ,

Here are a number of alternatives for masking confidential data so you can post your PBIX on the forum.

https://forum.enterprisedna.co/t/tip-tools-and-techniques-for-providing-pbix-files-with-your-forum-questions/17763

When you do that if you could also provide a sketch of the outcome you are hoping to achieve, that will ensure that the solution provided meet your needs.

Thanks!

– Brian

1 Like

Hi Brian,

In trying to anonymise the data I think I might have fixed the problem !!!
I need to go through what I did more more time to check.

I’ll get back to you soon,. Thank you.

Paul

3 Likes

Hello @kellysolutions , good to hear that you might have fixed your problem.

Once you confirmed that you do, can you share it in this thread so that other user with the same issue can benefit from it too?

Hope to hear from you soon. :slight_smile:

Hi @kellysolutions, we’ve noticed that no response has been received from you since October 8th.

Due to inactivity, we’ll be tagging this post as Solved.

Guys I am very sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have discovered there was something wrong in my model and the process of obfuscating the model showed it up.

Thank you all for your help.

Paul